The (Im)Perfect Escape

The (Im)Perfect Escape by Amanda Rose

Chapter One

Regret.

It’s a poison that pollutes every part of my being, clouding everything.

Regret.

It creeps up on me when I least expect it and drags me down with it. It doesn’t think of others, but only its vile, egotistical self.

Regret.

It can swallow me whole, leaving nothing for anything else. The former me will be no more. It’ll make me become a whole new person—someone the old me would despise.

Regret.

It’s all I have left.

I drank the poison.

Now I have to live with the consequences.

<><><>

June 6th – 3:16 P.M.

“You want me to do what?” My jaw drops, and my eyes widen.

“We just think this is the best option for you, Lila.” Grandma reaches over the table to pat mine. I snatch it away, not wanting to get stabbed by one of her stick-on talons.

“Best option? Ugh, you make it sound like I’ve contracted some rare illness. Since I’m apparently dying, you’re shipping me off to some deserted island where I’m going to be eaten by wild tigers. Or pandas!” With each word, the hysteria grows in my voice. My fingers start tapping a fast-paced, jaunty tune, and my leg starts beating to the same speedy rhythm. “Either way, I’m not going! I don’t have any Survivor-type outfits, so this isn’t going to work.”

I can’t believe they think this is a good idea. Whoever told them this was a genius arrangement is going to pay. My grandparents really can’t believe this is truly a viable plan of action. It’s more likely that I’ll get mauled by said panda than actually have this work!

“Take a deep breath, Lila.” My grandfather rubs the back of his neck. Concern swirls in his eyes. His thin lips form a frown.

I take a few deep, cleansing breaths, and feel somewhat better. Although, my hands start to shake which presents a whole new problem. Great; just great. What am I supposed to do now?

My finger starts to twirl a loose strand of my hair to satisfy its need to move. Out of the corner of my eye, I see my other hand start to shake. “I seriously don’t think this is the best option. I love being here with you guys.”

“But I don’t think it’s best you stay with us right now. Not in your frame of mind. You need to stay with someone that knows what they’re doing.” Grandpa narrows his eyes at now other shaking hand.

“‘Not in your frame of mind’? You make me sound like I’m insane.” Quickly, I slide that hand under the table and out of sight. Ha! You can’t see them now, so take that! Did…did I really just think that? Maybe I really am losing it.

“After the accident and what happened with Tori, you just haven’t been yourself,” Grandpa says.

My grandma quirks up one of her pencil thin eyebrows at that remark. “Hey, being insane isn’t all that bad. Remember what I told you, Lila? You just tell everyone that you’re insane, so when they call you that, you can tell them, ‘I told you so.’ It works perfectly.”

Seriously, Grandma? We’re talking about a matter of life and well, not death per say, but still! I love your insanity, but save it for another time. I have my life to save here.