Chapter Four

Chapter Four

June 12nd 9:06 P.M.

After getting into Noah’s car, he turns up the rock song that’s playing and pulls out before I even have seatbelt on. “Whoa there. Eager to get somewhere? Have a hot date or something?” I ask.

He rolls his eyes as I slip on my seatbelt. “I just want to get away from that lame party. I hate going to these stupid things. They’re so annoying. I’m sure they’re gossiping all about you now that you’re gone.”

“Thanks. That just gives me warm, fuzzy feelings inside.” I roll my eyes.

“It should. You’re obviously important enough to be gossiping about when you’re not there. You should feel special.” He looks at me for a brief second then turns his gaze back to the road.

“Oh, I feel special alright.” I stare out my window.

We drive in silence the rest of the way to my stepmother’s house. It’s only a few minutes’ drive there. I’m not even really sure whose house we were even at. All I know is that I don’t plan on going back anytime soon. If I have my way, I wouldn’t go back ever.

“Thanks for the ride.” I reach for the door.

“Uh huh, Becca. Wait, I mean Lila.” He rubs the back of his neck.

As I open the door, I roll my eyes. “Whatever. I’ll see you tonight at three in the morning in my bushes, yes? I’ll be sure not to miss you.”

A smirk forms at the corners of his mouth. “Good. Don’t be late. I like to be punctual.”

“I thought you like being fashionably late.” I raise my eyebrows as I step out of the car.

“It’s an ever-changing world.” He throws in some spirit fingers to really get his point across, I guess.

“People don’t change. I’ve learn that from experience.” With that parting deep statement, I shut the door and walk up to the steps to the front door of my stepmother’s house.

After heading inside, I watch out the window until Noah leaves. A note is stuck on the fridge that explains my stepmom went down to her office. Apparently the population of this town is too small for her to get a decent clientele, so she had to set up her practice in the next town over. Sighing, I trudge over to my room and sink down on my bed. What am I supposed to do now?

Oh! That reminds me. I have to call Tori. Picking up my cell-phone, I instantly hit my speed dial. I bite on my lip, as it instantly goes to her voicemail. I’m not usually one to use the words bright and shining when describing someone, but Tori’s voice just comes off like those two words. She’s just always happy and bouncing around.

“Hey, you reached Tori. I’m not available at the moment for who knows what reason, but if you leave your name, number, and message, I will totally get back to you!” Beep.

I leave her a quick message about everything that happened to me today and end up getting cut off by that totally-perturbed-lady-no-matter-what’s voice. It feels strange to pour my day and heart out to something that only gives me a few minutes to talk. After hanging up, I toss my cell-phone onto the desk and flop down on my bed. Even though it’s still pretty early, I feel like I could crash right about now. That sounds just peachy to me.

<><><>

June 13rd 5:55 A.M.

Pulling my hair back in a ponytail, I lace up my new running sneakers. Morning is the perfect time for a run. There’s no traffic on the road, and nobody’s awake. The temperature’s always cooler, and something about the orangey sky so early in the morning’s gorgeous. I love running, and this sleepy town is just the perfect backdrop for it.