twenty

***

"Aren't you freezing?", Lyza asked when she walked outside, stepping onto the balcony. Taehyung had been sitting here all evening after they got home from the mall. "Doesn't matter", Taehyung replied quietly, looking at the snowflakes that kept falling from the sky, dancing slowly through the cold air, leaving a soft feeling all over the boy's fed up anger. There was a small roof above the balcony which kept him away from getting soaked by the snow, yet he was close enough to feel the cold breeze hitting his skin, giving him shivers everywhere.

He didn't remember any winter before in which he had the longing to feel something like snowflakes or cold air, it was completely new but this winter was for sure one to remember. There had never been one that hurt that much and that's even though usually summers were known to leave you with a heartbreak and a never ending crush on someone you met on vacation.

Lyza came back after disappearing inside for a few minutes. She wrapped a fluffy blanket around the boy's shoulders and gave him a cup with hot chocolate filled in it. "You gotta warm up", she said and sat down besides from him in another chair, wrapping her tiny body in a blanket as well. "What's on your mind?"

Taehyung shrugged, not having a clue what to respond to that. "Jungkook was talking about breaking up with me before the accident happened", he suddenly blurted out. "I think he reached a point where he doesn't want to be with me anymore and there's nothing I can do."
Lyza looked at him for a little while, recognizing all his features. The bitten lips and the sleepy eyes that once had that spark in it which made everyone's heart beat a little faster. His pouty cheeks were gone and his hair was a mess, long and falling above his eyes lazily because he hadn't put any effort in it.
There wasn't much left of the boy Lyza once used to know. Nothing of the one who stole her boyfriend back then. Taehyung was a wreck and both of them knew that. "Maybe the universe decided to give you a second chance. Make it right once he wakes up."

"What if I put all my effort in changing into a better me and he still breaks up with me?", Taehyung questioned, admitting his biggest fear. "What if all of this is for nothing."

"Then you'll find someone new", Lyza smiled calmly, "Y'know, there was a time where I had no idea what to do if he'd leave me so I never said a word when I knew he was cheating. But there's one thing I can assure you; you'll move on."
The boy took a huge sip from his hot chocolate, gulping it down slowly. He enjoyed the feeling that got him all warm inside, shivers going down his back when he realised how a simple drink could bring a little happiness.

Maybe, after all, it were the smallest things he had been sleeping on for all his life.

"I should have never slept with him", he let out weakly, "You and him, you made a great couple. I wanted that too, y'know. And he loved you, I'm sure of that. I should have just stayed away, god, I messed up so much-"
"We may have made a great couple but we weren't meant to be a family, Taehyung. When it was just me and Kook, god it was amazing, we went on dates all the time and he was such a sweetheart, always flirting with me and showing me off as if I'd be his most precious treasure. With Taejeon, all of that went away-"

Lyza let out a sigh, leaning back in her chair. "And if I'm being honest, he just wasn't my type of guy. He's too sweet, but also too broken."

"You really are into boys who treat you like shit, huh?", Taehyung chuckled and Lyza couldn't help but laugh a bit embarrassed, "Well what can I say-"
They giggled for a little, then went silent. This time it was Taehyung who stared at Lyza, looking at the girl's face and all the things that had changed with time. He remembered, back then she had her ears pierced, always wearing earrings and necklaces, the prettiest clothes and her whole face seemed to be glowing in happiness. Now there was no necklace, no earring, no make up. An oversized hoodie she stole from Jungkook's closet and a pair of leggins with christmas socks pulled up till her knees. They bought those socks at the store today. Taejeon and her got matching ones. Taehyung caught himself thinking that was adorable as hell.