twenty-five

wrote half of this at the library in college, i swear if anyone ever looks at my screen i will die

***

It was a Wednesday afternoon when Jimin made his way downtown to the office of Jungkook at which Taehyung was working recently as well. It's been weeks since he saw him the last time, back in Busan.
He had his hair dyed black now and started wearing darker clothes than usual, rings on his fingers and baggy shirts layered on top of each other. "Signing those stupid divorce papers, gosh as if he even wants that", he grumbled to himself, kicking stones in front of him while walking down the road. He didn't believe in Jungkook actually being able to make Taehyung happy but if that's what the boy wanted, then that's what he should get. "Go right into the biggest mistake of your fucking life, suit yourself motherfucker", he said, rolling his eyes while almost stumbling.

Jimin was drunk, clearly wasted even though the day wasn't even close to being over yet.
That's what he did lately, to keep his mind somehow away from the boy he missed with every passing day.
It wasn't fair, it just wasn't. But no one cared for it.
"Woah, what put you in such a mood?", a girl's voice made Jimin look up from the ground, meeting the eyes of a blonde.
Lyza was walking the same way like he did, holding two lunch bags in her arms. "Life", Jimin groaned, not even questioning why the girl was in Chicago.

"Oh hell", she sighed, "Where are you going?"
"Signing the divorce papers", Jimin shrugged. "It's two days before his birthday and when I asked him if I can give him a present he told me to come sign the papers, that'd be enough", the boy laughed helplessly. "Isn't it funny? How I'm the one who took care of him all those years yet I can't even give him a proper birthday present", he let out a frustrated sigh. "Bet Jungkook gives him something random like a damn book or something and he gets all happy about it."
He shook his head disappointed, stumbling forwards.

"Are you drunk?", Lyza asked, eyebrows lifted when she grabbed the bottle from Jimin's bag, looking at it. It was beer. "Jesus, Jimin it's not even 5pm."
She took the bottle away and threw it to the bin. "Weren't you the one who kept Taehyung away from the bottle when he needed it? Why are you pulling the same shit now?"

"There's no one keeping me from it", Jimin smiled. "Not a single soul gives a shit."
"What about Yoongi? Jungkook said you're back with him?"

"I thought I was", Jimin shrugged. "And I am-, k-kinda. I live at his place lately but this shit isn't real man. He left me for Hoseok back then and he keeps crying after him. I'm sick being everyone's second choice, y'know?"
"I know", Lyza nodded, knowing a little too well how that felt. "I know, Jimin", she let out a sigh and patted his shoulders.

"Of course you do", Jimin laughed weakly, "You're in the same spot, still crying after your Ex who fucking left you for the most toxic shit he could ever get into."
Lyza shrugged, "They're happy with each other, Jimin. Let it go. Some people are just meant for each other and some aren't. We weren't meant for them."

"Why is it so fucking hard to let go then?", Jimin snapped. "Why does it keep me awake at night and haunt me during the day? Why is Taehyung the only fucking thing on my mind all the goddamn time? I'm so sick of it Lyz."

The girl shrugged, "It gets easier when you realise that you can still be in touch with them even without being their lover. It's better than not being part of their life, y'know."
"Is it though?", Jimin lifted an eyebrow. "I'm not going to look at Taehyung being all happy and blushy with fucking Jungkook even though this bitch is the reason he lost half his youth to being bullied and then got left behind."

"But that's how it is, all we can do is move on-"
"But why?? Why for fuck's sake? Why do I have to be fine with him leaving me? I did nothing wrong. I-"
"No one cares about us in this thing, Jimin", Lyza laughed weakly, "Imagine this being a movie. We're not the main characters. Do you ever think about what happens to the Exes of the protagonists once they find the one they're supposed to end up with? Right. It's not of importance."