Chapter 11

It's been so long, it's been so long, maybe we're fireproof...

Zayn didn't want to be melodramatic, but this was the worst thing that could possibly happen. Liam and Clark could not both be in the same place at the same time. They couldn't. All of the nervous energy he'd felt moments before was gone, replaced by legitimate fear over what would happen when they met.

Time seemed to slow to a crawl as he stood frozen in the doorway, watching as a huge smile spread across Clark's face, her eyes going soft as she spotted Zayn. He hadn't seen her since her semester had started back in September, but she looked just as pretty as ever as she moved Safaa off of her lap so that she could stand. 

He couldn't believe that she was actually there, and he realized with a start that he hadn't thought of her for hours, Liam the only person on his mind since the moment he'd seen him on the field. If he was being honest Liam had been the only person occupying his thoughts for days, or maybe even weeks, but that really wasn't fair, because Clark had been right there, in the background at least, texting him hello every morning and asking him about his day every night.

Clark was walking towards him, already holding her arms out for a hug, but he couldn't help risking a glance at Liam. He looked so happy, cheeks still tinged pink from Doniya catching them in the hallway, like he didn't know that Zayn's carefully constructed world was falling apart at that very moment. 

"Here Benjamin," Liam called as he bent down to pat his knees, earning a squeal of approval from Safaa.

"He's right there, silly," she laughed, pointing at his feet.

Clark reached Zayn just as Liam crouched down to pet Benjamin. He wrapped his arms around her automatically, her head tucked under his chin and the scent of her shampoo reminding him of home. Not the home that he was standing in now, but the house he'd grown up in, countless hours spent on the sofa with Clark, doing their homework and watching movies side by side until his parents got home and they all had dinner as a family. Clark was family, and a scalding shame burned through him at the thought of what he'd just done with Liam.

Liam looked up from his spot on the floor, his eyes flitting to where Zayn's arms were still wrapped around Clark's waist. Zayn dropped them to his sides at once, his hands shaking a bit because this was actually fucking happening.

"Hi," Clark said brightly, giving Liam a little wave.

"Oh shit, sorry," Zayn mumbled, his mind searching desperately for a way to get out of this situation and finding none. "Um. Clark, this is Liam Payne. Liam, this is Karma Clark."

Clark cringed, poking Zayn in the side. "Please call me Clark. Just because my parents are hippies doesn't mean that I am," she told him, sounding exasperated as she held out her hand for him to shake. Liam took it, a friendly smile on his face. "How do you know Zayn?" she asked him.

Zayn cut in before he could answer. "Liam's in the football league too. He uh, he gave me a ride home from the game."

"That was nice of you, Liam," she smiled sweetly, sliding an arm around Zayn's waist and resting her head on his shoulder, her movements comfortable and familiar. "I told him he shouldn't even play today considering his injury, but you know how he is."

"I do," Liam agreed. He was still smiling, but there was a tightening around his eyes that belied his easy answer. "I'm sorry, but how do you two know each other?" he asked as he looked back and forth between the two of them. His eyes settled on Zayn, but it was Clark who answered.

"I'm his girlfriend."

Liam looked at her as she spoke, then turned his head slowly towards Zayn, as if hoping that he'd call her a liar. But Zayn couldn't call her a liar. Couldn't do anything but watch as his two worlds collided, the meeting threatening to destroy everything he cared about.