Chapter 8

It's taking, it's taking all I got, yeah... 

Zayn's chest hurt like a bitch as he sat on the steps leading to the back of the ambulance, watching as the crime scene techs took the vest that had saved his life into evidence. His uniform was unbuttoned, revealing the giant bruise that was forming just above his heart. He shivered as he looked down at it, not just from the chilly December air but also from how close he'd come to-

He shook his head. No fucking way was he going to sit there feeling sorry for himself. He focused on the scene surrounding him instead, a small sound of surprise bubbling out of him when he spotted Liam getting out of his annoyingly expensive car.

Liam ran between the cops and reporters milling about, searching frantically for something. His eyes went wide as they landed Zayn, the look of relief washing over his face apparent even from several yards away. He bounded towards Zayn like a giant fucking puppy dog, crashing excitedly into him and pulling him into a tight hug.

"Ow," Zayn groaned, and then immediately regretted it when Liam jumped away from him.

"Shit, sorry! God, Zayn, you have no idea how happy I am to see you. I heard Niall's distress call over the scanner, and I just...," He stopped himself from saying anything more, letting out a deep breath as he gathered Zayn into his arms again, more gently this time. "Don't ever scare me like that again."

Zayn smiled a little, his pain seeming to recede a bit when he was wrapped up in Liam's warm embrace. "I'm sorry, I...I won't. I'm okay," he assured him, patting his back awkwardly.

Liam pulled back, his eyes raking over Zayn's entire body like he needed to be sure that he really was okay. He lifted a hand to his bruise, softly skimming his fingers over the tender skin as his mouth formed a tight line. "I'll fucking kill him," he swore, dropping his hand and looking around. 

"Alright, big fella. Calm down."

"Where is he, Zayn?" he demanded, his face and voice both thunderous.

"I shot the motherfucker," Zayn yelled, raising his voice so that he could be just as loud and ridiculous as Liam.

A smile tugged at the corner of Liam's frown. "You did?" he asked, his smile getting bigger when Zayn nodded. "Is he dead?"

"No, he's not dead," Zayn laughed. "I got him in the shoulder, and Niall tackled him."

Liam nodded knowingly. "I figured someone who looks like you had to be a terrible shot."

Zayn rolled his eyes. "Sorry I was too busy, you know, being shot to aim properly. I could kick your ass at the shooting range any day. Blindfolded," he tacked on at the end, just to get his point across.

Liam sat down next to him, throwing an arm over his shoulder and leaning into him. "That sounds a lot like a challenge, and you know I never turn down a challenge. Especially one that involves you being blindfolded."

"Fuck off," Zayn nudged him away with his shoulder, making sure that he didn't push him hard enough to actually make him move. Not because he liked the way Liam's arm felt wrapped around him, but because it was really cold out, and Liam was really fucking warm. A space heater would have done the job just as well, but Zayn didn't see any laying around, so Liam was just going to have to do.

"Listen. I'm taking you out this weekend, no arguments. We're gonna get shitfaced and celebrate you still being alive."

"I dunno if that's a good idea, Li-," he started. 

"Hey, what did I say?" Liam asked, pressing a finger to Zayn's lips to cut him off. "No arguments. I've been meaning to go to the club Don works at anyway, and I think she's scheduled for Friday night, right?"