Chapter 22

It's been so long, it's been so long, maybe we're fireproof...

They fell into a routine, one that Zayn found himself never wanting to end, hectic mornings leading to long days at work and relaxed evenings at home, followed by nights in bed with Liam that had him wishing the sun would never come up, and before Zayn knew it, Christmas had arrived. A cold front had swept in the night before, turning the rain that hadn't seemed to let up for the past few days into a thick, heavy snowfall, just in time for Christmas morning. Everything was coated in white and seemed fresh and new and full of possibilities, and Zayn tried to focus on that, and not on the fact that the arrival of the holiday meant that their time at Liam's was almost up.

He closed his eyes as he scooted farther back into Liam's embrace, searching for his warmth as he linked their fingers where they rested on his stomach. He brought Liam's hand to his mouth, pressing a smiling kiss to the back of it when he heard Safaa hop out of bed from across the apartment, her footfalls heavy as she ran down the hallway and through the living room before barging into their room. She jumped onto the bed, bouncing twice and landing halfway on top of Zayn and halfway on top of Liam where they were cuddled together. She pushed them apart so that she could jump up and down between them, shouting, "Get up get up get up! Santa was here, I know it!"

Her enthusiasm was infectious, and Zayn found himself grinning over at Liam as he grabbed her and pulled her down on top of him. "No presents before breakfast," he reminded her, tickling her sides as she struggled out of his grasp and jumped down to the floor.

She turned to face him, her eyes wide as she wrapped both hands around his wrist and tried to tug him out of bed. "Then let's go eat breakfast," she grunted.

"Alright, alright," Zayn said, allowing her to pull him to a seated position so that he could swing his legs over the side of the bed, running a hand over his face to try to wake up. "Go make sure your sisters are up and I'll start breakfast. And no peeking at the presents!" he called after her as she scampered from the room.

Liam's chin came to rest on his shoulder, one of his arms wrapping around his waist to scratch along his happy trail. "Think the only other time I've seen someone that excited for something was you trying to get me in bed for the first time."

"Please," Zayn scoffed. "That was you." He tried to stand up but Liam didn't let him, pulling him backwards until he was lying flat on the bed, Liam hovering above him.

"Don't you have a Christmas kiss for your boyfriend?"

Zayn shook his head resolutely, placing a hand over Liam's mouth. "Not until you brush your teeth."

Liam pulled his hand away, revealing a huge grin as he dropped down, peppering Zayn's face with kisses. Zayn let him, even going so far as to kiss him back a few times, since it was the season of giving, and all that (he kept his mouth closed though).

"Merry Christmas, boyfriend," Liam said, giving him one last, lingering peck, one that was interrupted when Safaa burst back through the door she'd left open. One look at them and she was putting her hands on her hips, her eyes narrowing.

"It's time for breakfast," she reminded them sternly, holding an accusing finger up in the air and wagging it back and forth. "Not time for kisses."

"We'll be there in a minute," Zayn told her with a groan, waving a hand to shoo her from the room.

Liam pulled a face at Zayn as soon as she was gone. "Can't wait to see her as a teenager," he laughed, pushing himself out of bed before holding out a hand to help Zayn up.

"Yeah," Zayn agreed quietly as he pulled on his plaid pajama pants and a t-shirt, suddenly a little overwhelmed as he watched Liam head into the bathroom. He sat back down on the bed and took a deep breath, trying to calm his thoughts as he ran a hand through his hair.