Frosted Grass

Days had passed by.

The fire crackled and swayed with the wind. Heat enveloping the two boys as they sat in the frost covered grass. Cold to the touch. It felt as if every bone in your body was frozen at the same time. It was cold. The fire did nothing to help. Heat meant nothing to the unforgiving cold. Yet the bonfire still crackled and swayed, unfazed by the cold.

It was calming, that's all. There was no heat from the blaze that sat in front of them.

"Still not regretting this?" Kyle questioned Cartman, pulling him from his thoughts.

Cartman shivered, body heat obviously not being enough to warm him anymore, "Of course not, this is a dream come true!" His tone was slightly passive aggressive, but Kyle shrugged it off as the cold was effecting both of them quite negatively.

"Honestly, if it gets any colder I'll probably drop dead any second," Kyle spoke as his teeth chattered, unable to stay still and silence his teeth.

Cartman only hummed, whether it was in acknowledgment or agreement is another question on it's own.

The campfire that sat sadly in front of them crackled calmingly. It was the one thing keeping them sane at that point. It flickered and flashed.

"We're out of food," Cartman finally spoke, breaking the simi-silence.

Kyle looked at Cartman, who was looking at Kyle out of the corner of his eye.

"I'm sorry I avoided telling you for the last few days" Cartman continued.

Guilt. Cartman was guilty.

No words had to be spoken to understand that Cartman had eaten most of it at some point or another.

Yet Kyle didn't feel angry, maybe it was the cold or the fire, but he didn't feel like being angry. He didn't feel like he needed to be angry. Unless this wasn't the fire, maybe... maybe it's something else.

That something else being that Kyle was so ready to go home that this was just a good enough excuse.

"Was this..." Cartman paused, "Was this a bad idea?" He finally turned his head to face Kyle directly.

Kyle snickered, but quickly went back to being serious after realizing it wasn't the time for joking, "I dunno... I've kinda been saying that for a while now."

Cartman looked down at the frosted greenery and then back up at Kyle, "I know it's just..." Cartman curled his knees up to his chest so he could rest his chin on them, "I just really needed to get away from everything and everyone."

"Everyone?" Kyle's face twisted into confusion.

"Well... You know what I mean. I just wanted to leave everyone..." Cartman swallowed, "Except you..."

Kyle tilted his head to the side as Cartman avoided his gaze, "why's that?"

"It's just, I feel like you're the only person who really cares about me. I've never- ARG EMOTIONS!" Cartman buried his face in his hat, "I've never opened up to anyone before. No one knows how much emotional trouble my mom gives me and... I've never even told anyone I'm gay besides you!" His voice muffled by his cap, yet still clear enough to understand.

Kyle studied the grass below him, unsure of what to say, "yeah... I know."

Silence, certainly not the first or even the fifth spell of silence they've had during this conversation. Silence was the one thing they were good at.

"We're going to die out here, aren't we?" Cartman spoke, putting his hat back on top of his head. Motivation had left him behind hours ago, but it was never that obvious until now.

Kyle looked up, attempting to view the sky only to be greeted with a canopy of leaves from the trees above. He sighed, "I don't know."

Really, Kyle didn't want this to be where his story ended. Though it seemed like that would be the case. It was cold and they had no food.

Starvation and hypothermia were competing for the rights to kill off the two. The fact they were still alive was a miracle, neither of them know how to actually camp! Cartman learned to make a fire only because of Wikipedia! Though his phone died days ago.

"I've uh..." Cartman cleared his throat, "really enjoyed these last few days... With you."

Kyle met Cartman's eyes, "yeah?"

"Yeah," Cartman smiled slightly, "even though this sucks, at least I get to die next to you."

Kyle smiled back pitifully, "yeah.. Me too"

Cartman's eyes went back to looking at the ground, "you know... Sense we're probably about to die, I wanted to tell you something."

Kyle looked at Cartman, worry in his eyes.

The large boy exhaled, "I uh..." He laughed nervously, "you know I really shouldn't be so scared of saying this seeing that we're about to die..."

"Kahl," Cartman looked Kyle in the eyes, "I... I love you"

Kyle's eyebrows raised in shock and surprise, "huh?"

Cartman sighed, "it's fine if- it's just I've had a crush on you since, like, fucking kindergarten and... I wanted to say something before we died. It's fine if you don't feel the same way. None of this will matter soon"

The sound of crackling grew louder.

Kyle reached his hand out and laid it on top of Cartman's hand. The two boys looked at each other.

"I think... I think I like you too," Kyle said, slightly unsure yet sincere, "I've never really thought about it, but this... Feels right" Kyle gripped his hand tighter around Cartman's, "I'm glad I get to die by your side."

Cartman and Kyle gazed at each other.

"- are you crying??" Kyle spoke worried for Cartman.

"No- I mean, yes. It's just- I've wanted this for so long and now I wont be able to actually enjoy it." Cartman wiped his eyes.

Kyle and Cartman scooted closer together, Cartman wrapping his arms around the small Jewish boy. It did nothing to cure the cold, but it warmed both of their hearts to be so close and comfortable with each other.

"So... If we make it out of this alive... Can I call you my boyfriend?" Cartman asked awkwardly, yet completely serious.

"You're asking this now?" Kyle questioned, only getting an awkward laugh from Cartman.

The fire in front of the crackled and burned. The heat of the blaze barely covered the boys in a blanket of warmth. However the warmth was no where near hot enough to keep them from freezing.

"Yeah..." Kyle finally responded, pushing His body closer to Cartman.

:)

Okokok I'm sorry there will be at least another chapter. But I'm not sorry for any pain I've caused.