Chapter XV

"Andy. I love you so much, but we're only 16. We're just kids and I'm not sure if I'm completely out of ove with Matt and Chris. How do you know that you love me?"

He stands up and rubs the back of his neck, still holding the box of doom in his right hand.

"We can do it. I have everything figured out already. We get engaged for the rest of high school, but then when we graduate, we'll get married."

I shake my head and puff out a breath of air.

"What if I fall in love again in college? What if you fall in love again?"

Andy looks down at the ground and sighs, shuffling his feet in embarrassment.

 I come close to him and touch his cheek.

"Are we over?"

He looks at me and I see his eyes start to tear up.

He tries to blink it away, but I won't let him.

A tear slides down his cheek and I wipe it away with my thumb.

I put both of my hands on his cheeks and kiss him like I did the first time on the beach.

He put his hands on my hips and I could feel the tears on my cheeks, plus the new ones forming on his eyelashes.

I start to smell sunscreen and salt water again.

My own eyes start to tear up.

Andy pulls away and hugs me.

"I love you."

His breath tickles my ear and I nuzzle my nose in to his shoulder.

"I love you too."

His grip around me gets tighter. So tight that I feel like my eyeballs are going to pop out.

But I could really care less.

~~~

I have been in my room for a couple hours.

I haven't moved since Andrew drove away from my house for the last time.

What I thought was going to be another date, turned out to be a proposal gone wrong.

I said no and we broke up.

I wanted to say yes so bad, but there were so many things wrong with his plan to get married after high school.

What if we had a kid but then fell out of love with each other? I wouldn't want anything like that to happen to one of my kids.

I want a normal parent stuff with my kid.

My hair is matted to the side of my head, my snot acting like glue.

Someone knocks on my door and I stuff my head in a pillow and grunt for whoever is at the door to fuck off and go away.

I guess they got the wrong idea because they barge in.

"Are you okay, Cass?"

My sister sits on my bed and touches the small of my back.

I shake my head and sniff, trying not to get so much snot in my hair.

"What happened?"

I shake my head and slowly roll over so that I can sit up and look at her when I talk.

I sit up and her eyes get big as she sees how much of a mess I am. I smile weakly and brush some hair out of my face.

"I was feeling really stressed about you and Brian so I called Andy and he said that he would be here in a bit. I thought that we were going on a date, but then he asked me if I wanted to marry him."