Chapter I

Dear Diary,

Today is the first day of my Sophomore year. I'm older than everyone in my grade because my birthday is pretty early...so yeah.

On another note. Matthew is taking me to a party Saturday night at his brothers frat house. So I'll be going to my first college party before I'm even in college! Yay!!

Chris says that he has tickets to see The Neighbourhood, but I don't believe him because he lies a lot. Even if he is lying, it would be pretty cool.

Chris and Matt still don't know about each other but whenever I say something about Chris in front of Matt, he gets all red in the face and his eyes turn darker brown. It's creepy. And whenever I talk to about Matt in front of Chris, his fists clench and he holds his breath. I think they know that I'm dating them both at the same time. I don't know though. They may have an idea, but they probably don't know for sure.

Do you know what would be really bad? If I went to the party with Matt and we saw Chris there! Or if I went to the concert with Chris and I saw Matt there. That would be totally cra...

"Cassidy! Do I have to tell you again? Get your butt down here and eat your breakfast. The bus is going to be here any minute!"

I grunt and put down my lucky purple sparkly pen.

"Coming Barbra." I yell down the stairs.

Okay. Long story short. I don't call my mom "mom", I call her by her real name: Barbra. I mean, if you ask me, that whole "mom/mommy/mamma" thing is kind of old. I mean don't women always say that they feel older when they have kids? It's probably because they're calling you mom. That, and she tried to leave me in a grocery store when I was 5, so she doesn't get to be called mom from me at least.

"Please call me mom."

"No thanks Barbra."

I grab my backpack and go in to my sisters room.

I go to her bed and shake her awake.

"Get up Franny. It's time to get dressed and go to school."

Franny sits up and rubs her eyes while she looks around her room, squinting from the sunlight.

"Where's mommy?" She asks. I roll my eyes slightly. Oh I remember the "mommy" phase.

I pat her hair down because it's kind of...sticking up on her head.

"Barbra is downstairs waiting for us to come down and eat some breakfast."

Frannys' eyes light up and she rushes downstairs.

"Be careful Fran!" I call out to her, laughing at her enthusiasm.

~~~

"So I was at the super market and I saw Chris and Matt there and they looked like they were going to kill each other." Millie says, her eyes bugging and her mouth crusted with frosting from her donuts.

Millie has been in my life since the first grade. We both had the same grape juice for snack and we took that as a sign that we were supposed to be friends forever. Around Freshman year, Millie had to go to the hospital because her father had a heart attack. I remember that Millie came over to my house and hugged me tightly, words coming out of her like the tears and snot that was making a trail on my new shirt. But I didn't care because if my dad were still alive and that happened to him, I would want her to comfort me like that. My dad died when I was 5. He got in a car accident with Barbra so for most of her life, she's been blaming herself for what happened to my dad. Sometimes I can still hear her muttering to herself that she should have warned him. That she should have done something.