4

I jerk awake to a cracking sound. It's a whip, and I suddenly realize what happend! I want to scream but resist, knowing that if I do, he will surely notice my consciousness. I try to stand without making a sound, but heavy chains on my wrists and ankles clink and clank loudly.
"Oh, look who's awake."
I close my eyes hoping that he'll think I'm still unconscious. Stupid, I'm so dumb, why would I think that'd work?!
"Princess Jinx, you look very lovely in this lighting!" my assailant says gleefully
"Why are you doing this?" I'm calm but my voice is shakey, I hope he doesn't notice!
"Very princessy, when you aren't even born royalty!" he yells angered
I stay silent not wanting him to become more frustrated. He looms in the darkness, only the toe of his shoe steps barely into the light. He's waiting for me to answer I feel it. I feel like he is studying me.
He bellows "Answer me!" finally showing his face.
"Seth?!" I gasp, exasperation engulfs me like an ocean.
He smiles crookedly "Mhm, took you long enough."
"Why?! Why are you doing this?!" I'm yelling engaged in my angry outburst.
"Well, Kaleb left the kingdom to you, and it should be mine. After all I am next in line, not you!"
"It is yours!"
"No, in his will he left it to you!"
"I know, but I rejected the offer, so it's yours!"
"Don't lie to me! I know you took the offer, because you're a greedy gold digger!"
I cry,"No, no I didn't, the kingdom is yours! All yours!"
"We'll see about that!"
He pulls his arm back and cracks the whip against my face. Blood drips down my face from the fresh cut. I cry out in agony! Seth just laughs,"Not so beautiful anymore! Now are you?"
I look at my knees, not wanting him to see me cry, he doesn't deserve such satisfaction!"