10: Chin Up

"Auntie!"

"AUNTIE!"

I bolt through the old wooden door,tripping on the doorway and falling to the ground. I wince in pain, the impact stunning me for a short few seconds. I stumble to my feet, searching the house for my aunt Bertha.

"Aunt Bertha!" I scream,"I'm home! I'm home!"

I searched the entire house....

And She's gone

I race out of the door,knocking on the neighbor's house who lived across the dirt road. The door opens with a short creek, and I am greeted with the familiar face of the local grocery man Ramsey.

His eyes, which were normally droopy with old age, widen with surprise.

"Zola...?" He questions,"y-you've returned...?"

"Yes Mr.Ramsey~" I sigh with relief, embracing the family friend in my arms,
" I'm here now".

Once we parted,I asked him the question.

"Where's auntie Bertha?" I ask him,"she's not in her house, I searched everywhere and I-"

"Y-you....don't know...?" He questions

"Know what?" I ask him,"what is it, please Mr. Ramsey where is my aunt?"

"Zola~" he sighs,

" your aunt Bertha died....."

......

"W-what....?"

"she was devastated after you were gone, she wouldn't eat, sleep...."

"Zola..."

"How about this one Zola? These flowers would be lovely for the table"

"Zola get down from there!"

"That's it Zola, you can do it!"

"Don't worry, I'm here, there's nothing to be afraid of~"

"Zola, you are my angel of light, what would I do without you?"

"Zola you are my everything~"

"I love you Zola~"

Zola.....

Zola....

Zola....

"Zola?" Mr Ramsey's voice finally gets through my ears," Zola are you alright...? Do you need to come inside...?"

"I-I...I-Um..."

I....

I can't speak....

"I-I'm...I'm just-...."

Without another word,I simply walk down the road,my gaze focused on my slow, dragging steps. I heard the roaring of thunder, and I feel the like tingle of early raindrops on my skin.

"Chin up Zola, everybody loves a happy face~"

"Never let anyone tell you to stop smiling"

"Look at how much you've grown, your parents would be so proud"

"Smile my love, no matter what happens, just smile"

Just...smile

Just...

Smile

"J-just..." I stutter,"s-smile..."

I force my cheeks to turn upwards, the muscles in my face aching painfully from how much I wanted to stop...

After a couple seconds go by, my face gives out, snapping back to an expressionless gaze.
Tears spill down my aching cheeks, my vision now blurry.

"N-no..." I snap at myself,harshly wiping them away,"stop that..."

No matter how much I wiped, more tears were flowing, like an endless well.

"S-stop it~" I plead with myself, finding it difficult to breathe now that I have started gasping,"stop crying....s-stop crying".

"There there Zola, there's no reason to cry~"

I feel my body give out,my knees pounding into the muddy dirt,while my arms grew numb along with the rest of my body. I look up, watching as the raindrops drew closer to me.

Chin up....