Chapter XVII

Why am I even nervous? Not like I give a damn aboutthis dark bearded extremely masculine vampire. I want no part of thisexcessively exciting situation. I shouldtake this ring off immediately. I should take it off ... but as I held my hand upto the light, the green glow held me captive. It bewitched me, whispering sweetnothings like a siren... like an enchantress. Oh No.

Bells chimed; I didn't even know they had bells here

Bells chimed; I didn't even know they had bells here. I peeked behind the curtains of the window catching glimpses of the swarm of people heading for the castle. From here I could see them stringing along all the way down the hill leading to the castle. They held glowing lamps. The cheers they roared reached my ear as if they were next to me. "It's so pretty." I spoke absently.

"Are you ready?" Ava asked, smiling at me. She along with her entourage of servants worked hard to get me dressed.

They braided my hair, leaving small wavy curls hanging free to frame my face. They fussed over putting flowers in the hair do. To me it appeared like green leaves ... but it fit so well that there was no room to argue it's beauty.

"I did"I did not sign up for this shit." I groaned turning to face her.

"Yet you look excited." She smiled at me; a brilliant grin that made me blush harder.

"Let's go and get this over with." I tried to sound annoyed, but I was breathless.

***

My hands trembled and if I weren't clinging to Xion's arm I'd have fallen over by now. My makeup will be ruined if I keep sweating like this. What am I doing right now?
"Calm down Enchantress." Xion whispered. "Our people would like to see you and they won't be able to in this mist."

I took steady deep breaths until we arrived in front of the celebrant. Xion held my hands, his fingers massaged my palm and soothed me. Under his breath, he was coaching me, telling me to take deep breaths and doing them with me until I calmed down. When I finally calmed down and the mist subsided the ceremony proceeded. 

The crown

The crown.

"All hail Queen Aurora!"

"Long live the Queen!" The people chanted. They had erupted in cheer and happiness.

Why are they so welcoming of me? A witch. Where I'm from we would have ripped through any vampire who set foot on our land claiming to be our king. But here I am a witch being presented as the Queen of Vampires. They came all this way to see and celebrate me. They love me. 

***
I spoke too soon.

Xion and I stood on a balcony looking over at the sea of vampire citizens. Children sat on the shoulders of adults. They cheered and sang and celebrated with lanterns and balloons. The sound warmed my heart until the first child was struck with an arrow.

The screams that follow would haunt me for the rest of my days. The sudden downpour of arrows. One moment, I was gripping the balcony screaming my lungs, ready to toss myself over it, to save them... the next moment, I was being dragged inside. Xion was gone from my side, and we were under attack. We... my people, my kingdom and I.

The sound of the soldiers running mingled with the loud cries.

You can't stay here Aurora. You can't let them fight alone.

The guards who had dragged me inside now looked at me. In their eyes, I saw the confusion and horror.
"We must fight. Be brave... I command you." I whispered to them looking them in the eyes and letting the magic in me rise.

They followed me as we ran through the castle to get outside.

The air leaving my lungs came out as a white fog, white clouds fell gently on the scattered bodies. Stooping, I brush the snow from the cheek of a young girl. She was barely breathing. I pulled her into my arms, and she clutched at my dress staining it with her blood covered hand.
The arrow ran straight through her stomach.

"Mom?" She called faintly, blood staining her pale lips as she tried to get up, to look around.
"Mom?"

Looking around, I notice that everyone else is dead. If she survived this, she would be alone... like I was alone. No. No!
"Take her inside." I ordered the guards. "If she dies... so do you."

I had to pry her hand from me to hand her over, I watched as they rushed her back inside the castle. I rushed into the chaos after they disappeared into the entrance, trying to find Xion and the soldiers. 

To be continued....