A Different Type of Sadness

It had been two weeks since Lucy was sent to Edolas. It was early morning. She was on her way to the hunting grounds in the forest with Erza, when she thought back to how she had ended up in this situation.

"Ugh...Erza?" Lucy woke up to Erza's sudden outburst.

The redhead was crumpling a piece of paper.

"Who does he take me for?! I'm a soldier! Not a baby-sitter!"

Erza threw the paper aside, quickly dressed herself and went to complain. Lucy got out of bed and picked up the piece of paper.

"Captain Erza Knightwalker, as per the orders of King Jellal, you are to become the escort of Miss Lucy Heartfilia until further notice."

"... That's rather clear cut...She seemed pretty angry..."

"It's just her senseless pride showing up again."

Lucy looked at the source of the voice.

"You..."

The woman walked to where Erza had flung her clothes and picked them up while sighing.

"You're Hilda, aren't you?"

"Mhm."

She went to put the clothes in the wardrobe when she noticed Lucy's nightgown.

"Eh? Ah, this? Erza gave it to me to wear for the night."

Hilda sighed.

"Huh? Uh..oh, is this special or something? I'll take it off right now!"

"Don't worry about it. I just wish she'd act more feminine."

"Goddammit! That stupid king!" Erza barged back into the room, fuming with anger.

"What right does he ha-...Hilda? I really don't understand why you come here every morning. "

Erza saw Lucy holding the letter. She really didn't feel like becoming this girl's escort, for however long. Even so, she couldn't help but feel some sort of attachment to her, unsure of exactly what that meant.

"Erza."

The Knight looked at Hilda, who was in front of her wardrobe.

"Hm?"

"DON'T THROW YOUR CLOTHES EVERYWHERE!"

Erza, not expecting that and already mad, clenched her fists and yelled back.

"STOP BARGING INTO MY ROOM! NO ONE ASKED YOU TO PICK THEM UP EVERY MORNING!"

"YOUR ROOM WOULD BE A MESS OTHERWISE! STOP BEING UNGRATEFUL! STUPID GIRL!"

"Pffft...Hahahahahah!"

As Erza and Hilda were butting heads, Lucy let out peels of laughter.

They both looked at Lucy who couldn't stop laughing.

Erza let out a smile at this scene, which Hilda caught fast enough to comment on.

Erza blushed and quietly said, "Shut up!"

She looked to Lucy and raised her voice, "What's so funny?!"

Lucy wiped away some tears and spoke.

"I'm sorry. Haha. It's just that... this feels nostalgic." Lucy said as she remembered Hilda's cold yet caring nature, during her visit at Fairy Hills.