Two Sides of a Coin

The day had slowly turned to night over the silent kingdom of Camelot. A big war had just ended. Candles lit the aisles and in the great hall were the knights, the king and Gwen, all silent in their grief. Gwaine, Elion, Percival and Leon all collaborated on creating a place where Merlin could lay. Now he was lying there, looking more dead than ever. No one cheered for the victory they had just won, no one even seemed to care about Caelan's death or the fact that Morgana had been captured and locked away in the dungeons never to see the dawn again.

"Here," Gaius said, as he handed Gwen a bottle of water. "You must drink." The old physician had examined Merlin and the dagger that had pierced his chest. There was something odd about it, though...

Slowly, Gwen took the bottle. "I never thought this would happen," she sobbed. "I knew we were incredibly lucky to have someone like Merlin around, but I didn't know that he was our guardian." She fought against the tears. "I wish I could have done something to prevent this..."

"What could you possibly have done?" Gaius asked, trying to comfort her. "Merlin knew what he was doing. I don't think anyone could've saved that boy but himself... You must not blame yourself, Gwen... Now if you will excuse me." He had gotten an idea... He wasted no time and hurried to his chambers, leaving Gwen utterly puzzled. She stood to look after him for a minute or two. Then she went over to Arthur. He was obviously very engaged by some thought that didn't seem to make sense to him. Gwen stretched out her hand to touch the shoulder of her beloved. He kept staring out of the window, but caressed Gwen's hand with his own in a feeble attempt to comfort her.

"What is it, Arthur?" she asked him, just to break the unbearable silence.

Arthur's blue eyes found hers, bewildered and confused. "I don't understand," he said. "I don't understand anything."

"I know," she said. "None of us do."

Arthur closed his eyes tightly and took Gwen in his arms. He held her as tightly as possible. She was the only one who was able to comfort him, to understand him.

"So I guess Merlin was right," said Gwaine, almost laughing.

The others just looked at him.

"Just before we got attacked after having visited those small villages," Gwaine told them. "I told Merlin that it was as if we didn't see all of him. Then he said; 'maybe things will change someday'..." Gwaine almost chuckled once again.

Elyan smiled. "Right..." he said, then turning serious. "We are lucky to have known him. Who knows where we'd been without him?"

No one answered.

Then Gaius reappeared.

Elyan saw the eager in the old man's eyes almost at once. "What is that, Gaius?"

Gaius went straight to it. "I might have found a way to save Merlin."

Arthur, who had not paid the conversation any attention, now kept both eyes and ears wide open as any other person present, as Gaius began to speak:

"When I examined Merlin, I found that the smell of his blood was strange, abnormal. At that point, I simply thought it odd, but now it has become clear to me, that there is a very rational reason for it." Gaius made eye contact with Arthur. "The dagger was poisoned."

"What?" Elyan said. "Poisoned?"

Gaius nodded. "Yes. It is a very rare poison that has a very distinctive smell. It is deadly and can only be reversed by magic." Gaius held up a water-like liquid. "This potion might be able to help..." He turned to the king. "I was indeed surprised when Merlin told me you found a druid girl in the forest so near Camelot. When he told me that this girl warned you about Morgana and Caelan's plans, it made me think of this old potion that I have kept in my possession for many years. It is from Caelan's time of greatness. It is, to be honest, even a potion of her own making. It is a form of antidote to cure most magical poisons..."