Witch of Darkness

In the early hours of the morning, when the first rays of sun appeared, most homes in Camelot where still in darkness for the people who lived within them were not yet awake. The villages and fields were as quiet as ever. It was the time of smuggling and above the distant hills, someone was in the process of doing so. They smuggled no cargo nor treasures of a material kind. Rather the rhythmic sound of men marching could be heard echoing in the wind. These men were dead-eyed, very focused, and prepared to do almost anything to reach their goal: The great citadel of Camelot and its king. This goal was set for them by their mistress and it was the only thought that would occupy their minds. This was but pleasing to the two hooded figures riding alongside this army. Morgana and Caelan opted to stay out of sight for as long as possible. 

"The message is sent, I trust?" Morgana asked, her cold eyes fixed upon her army of might, power, and slaughter.

"It is indeed, my dear. All we must do now is wait..." Caelan answered, feeling joy as she watched Morgana's mouth curl upwards in satisfaction.

"Good," Morgana said. "And the plant, do you have it?"

"I do." Caelan gestured towards at her pocket. "Its power shall not disappoint you."

Morgana nodded. She had her eye on the mighty towers of Camelot now visible in the horizon. Then she looked at Caelan. "New times are upon us now. We shall make sure of that." They both smiled. These smiles were not warm, but very much as cold as the deepest winter snow. It should be most interesting to see how the young king would choose to defend himself - and most certainly loose. These were the thoughts in Morgana's mind as a Camelot patrol saw them and rushed back to the Citadel with all haste. It would not be long now until Arthur got what he deserved. 

The patrol reached Camelot within short time and informed the King as soon as possible. A knight was then sent to summon Merlin to the west tower of the citadel. To Merlin, this was very uncommon and he knew go there without delay. There were guards on the entrance, the sign of the king's presence. They let Merlin through instantly and he ran to the top of the tower where he found Arthur with his arms crossed. His eyes were fixed on something out there on the horizon.

"What's happened?" Merlin asked, a bit worried.

Arthur didn't look directly at him as he answered. "I've received a message," he replied. "From Morgana."

Merlin froze. "What?"

"Look out there, Merlin," Arthur said. "Tell me what you see."

Merlin took a peek... and froze again. "An army!" he determined. "Is it...?"

"Morgana's, oh yes," Arthur confirmed. "It seems she is behind all these kidnappings. Her and another sorceress according to my men. But that is not the worst; she writes that if I choose not obey her wishes, she will..." Arthur stopped himself. 

"Arthur," Merlin said. "What message?"

"She said Camelot was to be hers by sundown. If not... then she'd start killing the people, the knights and everyone else who stand in her way." Arthur handed Merlin the letter.

Merlin read it quickly and widened his eyes in horror. "But Sire!" he exclaimed. "You can't give in! You can't let her take the throne! She will turn Camelot into a graveyard!!"

Arthur finally looked at Merlin. "I know," he said. "But what other option is there to take? I cannot let her kill every man and woman I have sworn to protect. And we cannot defeat an enchanted army."

"You don't have to do this," Merlin assured him. "I'll stop her."

Arthur almost raised an eyebrow. "Well, it's good to know I have your support, Merlin," he said. "But I fear that won't be enough. I have already given the order to evacuate everyone as quick as possible - including you..."

"Me?" Merlin repeated. "Really? You know I can't do that. Someone's got to watch your back."

"That's already taken care of..." Arthur turned his head towards four men approaching; Gwaine, Leon, Percival and Elion. "These four dollopheads here refused to follow the order too, and have undertaken the role of playing my personal bodyguards. If we did not have a war on our hands, I would give them some sort of punishment. However, it is most important to guard our people and our secrets."

"Indeed," Merlin said, trying think straight. "Everyone else is going where, then?"

"To the forest of Ascetir," Gwaine told him. "You can join them if you hurry. We will be there shortly."

For a moment, Merlin simply stared at them, debating what to do. Of course there was no way he was going to leave Arthur here without a bit of magical protection. 

"You should go, Merlin," Arthur continued.

Merlin took a bow. "If that's your wish, Sire," he said, much to everyone else's surprise. "Be sure to join us soon." Then he hurried off and down the stairs.

"Well, that was easier than I thought it would be," Gwaine said and the other knights just looked at him.

"Sire," Leon said as Morgana's men began closing in on the city walls. "We must go now."

Arthur did not reply, but took one last look at the scene before he lead the way down the tower, across the square and into the dungeons. He was determined to take the crown and a few other relics from the treasure chamber before they rushed through the secret tunnels. It was the only way out now. Running, they reached the forest where they would not be seen from the citadel. They made sure to avoid the busy pathways to stay undetected by Morgana's men. It was not until sundown that they found camp, where all those who had escaped were hiding. Gwen and Gaius were there to greet them. However, the look on their faces went from smiles to fear when they realized that only five men were approaching. Arthur did not understand why until he really looked, not at Gwen, but at Gaius whose eyes searched for his young apprentice who had yet to appear. That was when it occurred to Arthur had Merlin hadn't made it out of the citadel.

What they did not know was that Merlin had shadowed Arthur and the knights and followed them across the square when Morgana had made her way there. Merlin did not have time to stop whatever spell she cast on him because he did what he could to conceal which way Arthur and the knights had gone from her.