Destiny and Doom

It was no surprise to Merlin; Morgana was headed straight for the hall. Arthur was trying to get her to turn around and face him. It still hadn't occurred to him that Merlin was also present.

"I won't let you do this..." Arthur snarled, his voice low and calm, but with rage burning just underneath as he drew out his sword. "I won't let you have this kingdom!"

Morgana looked at him with pure evilness in her eyes. "Brother dear," she said with a joyless grin. "We have already won. After all, you should know by now that your little sword won't do you any good against us."

Arthur looked like a madman. Merlin knew what Arthur was about to do, so he tried to push away his fears and be brave as he screamed on top of his lungs: "ARTHUR!" And it worked. He caught their attention.

"Merlin, go away!" Arthur shouted as Merlin entered the hall, apparently in a staring competition with Morgana. The only one who looked up at Merlin was Caelan. Her eyes were full of mystery and darkness.

"Never far from your master, are you?" she asked him. "You're always there like a little puppy, Morgana says, slave bound to your duties your entire life... Still, you have no business here, servant." She paused for a moment. "You will watch your beloved king die. I promise you shall be next. Even though you have magic, you will not defeat me." She moved her arm quickly, as if swinging a rope, only the rope was sent flying towards Merlin, tying him up to one of the great pillars.

Morgana scoffed. "It seems that not even Emrys can help you now, Arthur," she said. The smile on her face almost made him vomit; he did not understand how anyone could become so evil, so full of hatred.

The king stared back at her, his anger almost as great as hers.

"How did you manage to hide this boy from Uther?" she asked. "How can you accept him?" She circled him once, then coming back to face him.

The expression on Arthur's face didn't change. He didn't even look at Merlin.

A delighted smile spread on Morgana's face. "Ooooh, of course;you didn't know, did you?" she chuckled. "You were deceived once again." Now, her eyes turned cold. "Of course you didn't know. Otherwise the boy wouldn't be alive... Doesn't it make you feel betrayed? To know that even your best friends can turn against you - JUST LIKE THAT - and then you have no one left. How does that feel, dear brother?"

"I should run you through," Arthur replied, not even blinking.

Morgana raised her eyebrows. "Then you shall have the chance, of course..." She stretched out her arms to free her chest, giving Arthur every opportunity to attack. He took a moment to look at this coldhearted woman he once considered to be his sister. He tightened his grip on his sword, raising it over his head, his eyes still fixed upon Morgana in wrath. The sword in his hands trembled, but stayed in place.

Morgana was pleased. "You can't even make yourself do it, can you? Are you to weak?" In the corner of her eye, Morgana could see a dark shadow moving towards the king with a silver dagger in her hands. It got difficult for her to hide the victorious smile on her face as the shadow came closer... Merlin desperately tried to get free of the strong ropes that held him prisoner. He knew it would take seconds for Caelan and Morgana to finish Arthur off. And they had many ways of doing it.

Caelan raised up the silver dagger, yelled a short, but precise spell, which as her eyes turned golden, flew straight towards Arthur.

"NOOO!!" Merlin roared as he broke free of his bonds, jumping straight into the dagger's reach. He fell to the floor right before Arthur's eyes.

The king's jaw dropped. "Merlin!" Arthur got to his knees beside Merlin, staring at the dagger in his chest. He desperately tried to stop the bleeding as Morgana's voice sounded again: