A Secret Weapon

The sun was already setting. They had been walking for some time without any sign of Merlin or any other human being. They were well aware that they needed their friend, but as time passed by they thought it all through; why had Merlin hidden his true identity for them? Why hadn't he trusted them enough to tell them the truth? Was he nothing but a traitor or could he still be relied upon? No matter what the answers were, Merlin had to be found. For this task, magic was needed.

"I can't believe this," Gwaine said. "I didn't see this coming."

The others knight agreed.

"It's quite an achievement, though," Elyan said. "Fooling the whole kingdom. It can't have been easy."

"But there must have been a reason," Leon said. "I know Merlin - we all do. He has always got a reason to do things. I know no one who would protect his friends better."

"True," Elyan said. "But it doesn't explain why he lied and kept it all from us for so long. He has had plenty of opportunities to reveal his true self. Why choose now?"

"Was there any other option?" Gwaine asked, shrugging once more. "One thing is certain; he's against Morgana and her ways. Doesn't that count for something? That at least his loyalties haven't changed?"

"Do you think he knows of this Emrys Morgana speaks of? That maybe Gaius could have told him something?" Leon asked.

Arthur, whose mind was still swarming in anger, was suddenly torn out of his train of thought. Emrys... hadn't he heard that name before? Yes; Morgana had said it. But so had... that druid girl! She called Merlin Emrys! Arthur frowned. That didn't make much sense to him. He didn't know who Emrys was supposed to be, only that he seemed to be in Morgana's way. Could Sibylla have been mistaken? Was Merlin really this Emrys or did he just know this sorcerer well? Who knew what Merlin knew - who even knew who he was? Arthur walked faster as the others continued the argument.

"Oh, yes, I think Gaius knows everything," Elyan said. "He's a learned old man and he's also like a father to Merlin. My guess is that he has been in on this the whole time."

Some branches snapped. Everyone stopped. Their hearts starting beating faster; someone was near... but who was it?

"Merlin? Is that you?" Elyan asked, but still reaching for his sword, just in case.

Soon after, the young warlock stepped forth, showing himself. He looked quite different now; somehow he looked taller and older than before. 

 "You came?" he said, surprised to see them all there. Even Arthur, who did not look at Merlin as if he was pretending the warlock did not exist.

"Of course," Gwaine said. "We still have a kingdom to save!"

That almost made Merlin smile. He looked at his friends, who had all come through. Still, there were questions in their minds and Merlin knew those needed to be dealt with. "I am really sorry to have kept all this from you for so long, but I thought it was for the best. I shall gladly tell you anything you want to know, anything to help you forgive me."

"Anything?" Gwaine repeated. "Maybe you could make some sort of fire? I'm freezing my butt of here..."

Merlin looked at him. "But there's no use. The firewood's wet..."

Gwaine frowned, eyeing Merlin in a funny way. "Is that really a problem? For you?"

Finally, Merlin understood. "Oh," he mumbled. "You want me to...?" He sighed. "I- you know, I probably shouldn't..."

"Merlin, please. We need to talk tactics and a fire to keep us warm. Just do what you must to make us one," Percival said as he too was freezing. Merlin couldn't argue with that. He obeyed, collecting some useable firewood, to create the fire. Then he made ready, pronouncing a simple little spell... And suddenly, flames appeared. To the others, it seemed the flames were reflected within his eyes that had turned golden as the flames appeared - and blue again once the spell was finished. Talk commenced and the knights suggested several plans of attack. Arthur didn't agree to any of them. Instead, he kept glancing at Merlin whenever he thought his servant didn't see. Finally, they decided the best plan of attack was to gather more men.