Author's Note

Hey readers! Just a fun update on Anastasia, the musical is opening in the coming weeks in the Netherlands, and the cast did a great live performance previewing the show! For those of you maybe just starting to read, this story is heavily inspired by the legend of Anastasia Romanov and the movie and musical based on the legend. Here is a video of the performance by the Dutch cast! The show is also currently playing in Germany and Spain and touring North America. It closed in New York on Broadway this past March after running for two years. The legend is based around rumors in Europe in the 1900's that Anastasia Romanov, a young Russian princess, survived the execution of her family during the Russian Revolution. It was finally proven in 2007 through DNA and remains found in Russia that Anastasia did die with the rest of her family, but lots of adaptations, such as the musical, have imagined what it might have been like if she did survive. It is a very sad story, she was only 17 when she was killed alongside her family. I have always been very interested in her story and the legend, and the idea for this story sort of came to me when I was seeing the musical. The "what if" thought for Kerttu was too tempting  not to explore and write about. Just for another quick unfortunate clarification because people have asked, Eadlyn, Eikko, Maxon, America, and Aleksi (Kerttu's brother I created for the story) did die in the prologue. However, keep your eyes out for other Selection characters who will make their way into the story soon...