FOURTEEN

"if you were born with weakness to fall, you were born with the strength to rise

"if you were born with weakness to fall, you were born with the strength to rise." -rupi kaur
__________

"Cora!" When I heard his voice, and saw him running towards me, it seemed like we were the only people in the world. Though I knew that my legs wouldn't hold me, I stood up, knowing he would catch me. And he did. He picked me up and kissed me as hard as he could. We could both taste the saltiness of our tears, but we didn't care.

"Mr. Odair, we really do have to examine her now." One of the doctors said, and he nodded, putting me back down on the bed.

"Please don't leave." I begged, squeezing his hand.

"I won't. I promise. I'm here, always." He assured me. I try to keep my eyes on Finnick as they sedate me.

***

When I wake up, I notice I'm in a dim lit hospital room. "Finnick, she's awake." I hear my father say. My eyes widen as I come to my senses, feeling groggy.

"Hey, hey, you're safe. I'm right here. We're in District 13." Finnick said, rushing towards me. I put my hand against his cheek, and let a tear fall down my eye.

"Annie, go get Marina. She should either be in her compartment resting, or eating lunch with Fletcher or Mags." My father tells the red-head.

"Dad!" I exclaim as I see him in a wheelchair.

"It's okay, Lia. I'm fine. All that matters is that you're safe now." He wheeled towards the bed.

"What happened to you? Is Marina okay? Finnick, they told me you were dead." I ramble.

"I got shot. Marina is fine, except she's really worried about you." Dad said, putting his hand on top of mine.

"I'm alive, baby. We both survived." Finnick said, now sitting on my hospital bed with me. A doctor came in who resembled Thist; by that I meant he was a muscular guy with blonde hair. I put my hands over my ears, rocking back and forth.

"Not real...not real. Thist can't hurt me. No more jabberjays...no more jabberjays. Jabberjay, jabberjay, jabber-" Finnick is reaching for my hands to bring them down.

"Cora, it's okay, you're okay. Those birds aren't here, I promise." He holds me tight, stroking my cheek, and playing with my hair.

"Lia!" Marina shouts, running towards the bed. She pulls me into a tight hug, and I gasp in pain when she touches my back; a place Thist had used the electricity rod often.

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry." Marina's eyes were full of tears. "Not your fault." I assure her. It's like I can't use all of my words. My uncle squeezes my shoulder before sitting next to my dad. The doctor leaves, as he could tell the sight of him sent me off, and was replaced with a blonde woman, and a younger girl that favored her.

"Coralia has a concussion, the burns from the volts they used look rough, and she has a few nasty cuts, but they will heal eventually, and there's no internal bleeding." The older woman told them.

"Our main concern is her weight, and the infected gash on her chest. She's severely malnourished; much like Peeta and Johanna. The infection is what's causing the fever and the sick feeling. She needs her rest, which is why she was out for three days. We'd also like to keep a close eye on the wound Brutus inflicted. It wasn't properly taken care of." The younger one explained.

"Thank you, Prim, Mrs. Everdeen." Finnick nodded.

"Peeta...no, no, no! They changed him! He's not the same! Not the same." I cry. I remember Peeta screaming about how he planned to kill Katniss. They had completely flipped his mind.

"We know, Lia. Plutarch and Haymitch are doing what they can." Uncle Fletcher explained.The two women excused themselves, letting the family have the room to themselves.

"J-Johanna?" I ask, my lip quivering.

"Still just as full of fire as when you were captured. She's hurt; traumatized, but she's gonna be okay." Marina assures me.

"P-please tell me everything that happened. Start from the last moments in the arena. I...I may not take it well, but I need to know." I ask.

***

It was now just Finnick and I, and he didn't complain whenever I spazzed out. He ran his fingers over the pearl ring he had made. I had been particularly upset that the hospital room lacked a clock. Finnick had fixed it easily, getting a large, digital clock in her room.

"I'm sorry."

"Cora, what on earth do you have to be sorry for?" He asks me.

"I don't know if I'm going to be the same ever again. I know I'm not like Peeta, but...everything reminds me of being trapped in there. I know I'm not the woman you want to marry anymore." My voice fades to a whisper.

"There is nothing in this world that would change how I feel about you. You don't have to be afraid that I'll leave you. It's more likely that you'd get sick of me and kick me away." He tells me.

"I want you to be my wife. When you feel up to it, we'll have a wedding, right here in 13. We'll touch the salt water to our lips, and we'll dance to the wedding song from our district. Does that sound good?" I nod profusely, and bury my face in his neck.

I could tell there were things he wanted to ask me, but he stayed silent. I was sure I would open up about what happened at some point, but I could barely bring myself to think about it in the first place at the moment.

Right now, I was peaceful. The memories of the Capitol were trying to get my attention, but I ignored them, focusing on Finnick. If I started to freak out, I would name everything I love about Finnick. It was a long list, so it usually took a while.

"I love you."

"I love you, too, Cora."

-

do you guys actually like this story? i kinda feel like it sucks lol. i will also be writing a prequel after this!!