ELEVEN

"of all the things you choose in life, you don't get to choose what your nightmares are

"of all the things you choose in life, you don't get to choose what your nightmares are. You don't pick them; they pick you." - john irving
_______

I felt dizzy as I sat up, feeling the wound on my head. There was no longer moss there; instead, an actual bandage. As I tried to feel the wound on the side of my body, I noticed that I was chained.

"Sleeping beauty has finally opened her eyes." I heard someone remark. As my vision became less blurry, I could see that it was Johanna. Not far from her was Peeta.

"What happened? Where's Finnick?" I asked, taking in my surroundings. I appeared to be in a large cell. Metal bars separated the three of us, but there was enough room to reach your arms through.

"I'll tell you what happened - we did something to make the world spite us, and now we're fucked." Johanna growled. I looked to Peeta, who shook his head.

"We're in the capitol. You've been out for a couple of days. We don't know where Katniss, Finnick, and Beetee are." My eyes widened as I saw the bruise under Peeta's eye.

"Peeta, what happened to your eye?" I ask, trying to mess with the chains on my wrist.

"They want information. About the rebellion. Something tells me they're willing to do about anything to get it." Johanna whispered. I wanted nothing more than to hold Finnick, but I couldn't. I didn't even know if he was safe. The sound of boots against concrete broke me out of my thoughts. Peacekeepers opened the cell door, and headed for me. I struggled against them as they unlocked my chains.

"Let her go! Get your fucking hands off of her!" Johanna screamed, but was kicked in return.

I screamed as they dragged me; trying to kick my way out of the situation. However, myself against five peacekeepers wasn't a good bet. They finally sat me in a chair, tying my arms to the armrests.

"What do you know about the rebellion?" One of the peacekeepers asked me. I was sure he would be spitting in my face if he didn't have his helmet on.

I had agreed to join the rebellion. I knew it could end in death. I couldn't sell out Plutarch and Haymitch. I could only hope they were sending a rescue team.

"Nothing." I said, clenching my jaw. A fist to the nose took me aback, and I could feel the blood trickling down my nose. One of the peacekeepers took of his mask, revealing a man who looked to be in his thirties. He had blonde hair and an evil smirk.

"We're allowed to do whatever we want to you, so long as we keep you alive. Better start talking, buttercup."

***

Everyday, I had to endure the torture they inflicted. It had only gotten worse. They'd started altering Peeta's memory; I did my best to tell him the truth. They now were using water and electricity to torture Johanna. She tried to put on a tough act, but I could see right through it. The chains they now had me in had spikes on the inside of the cuffs that stabbed into my wrists.

As for me, they liked to stick towards beatings and cutting. Sometimes they'd use fire or electricity; it depended on the mood they were in. The cell they kept us in had no windows or clocks, and it drove us insane to not know how much time was passing.

I wanted Finnick. I wanted to know that he was safe, and that he could wrap his arms around me and instantly calm me down. Where was my family? Scratching at myself had become a habit every time I actually had time to think to myself. My legs and arms were raw, and blood covered the white sheets that I slept on.

"How do we get out of here?" I whispered, on my side of the metal bars. Johanna doesn't say anything, but she grabs ahold of my hand through the bars.