EIGHT

"sometimes it all gets a little too much, but you gotta realize that soon, the fog will clear up

"sometimes it all gets a little too much, but you gotta realize that soon, the fog will clear up." -?

___________

"Run! The fog is poison!" Katniss screamed. Without a second thought, the four victors began running through the jungle. As the fog touched her neck, she screamed in agony, feeling pulsating blisters popping up by the dozen. The fog chased the four victors, causing them to be unsure if they could keep going. She heard Finnick screaming, and wanted nothing more than to help him, but she found herself falling down into the leaves; being pulled back up by Peeta.

Coralia ran as fast as she could, but the fog was faster. She fell to the ground again, unable to move her legs. The fog covered her legs and arms, and she screamed as the blisters took over her body.

She felt someone pick her up; and she met Finnick's sea green eyes. He wasn't doing well either, but he would never leave her behind.

However, when Peeta wasn't able to move, and Katniss wasn't able to carry him, she shook her head, telling Finnick to leave her. They had to save Peeta and Katniss.

"No! No. Katniss, switch with me. I'll carry Peeta, you have to help Cora." He pleaded, and Katniss nodded. Coralia; as hard as she tried, could not stand. She was terrified she would never be able to use her legs again. Katniss struggled, but managed to drag Coralia along with her. The four victors were in agonizing pain as the fog continued to touch their skin.

She felt Katniss trip, and Coralia knew they were done for. They fell down a steep hill, rolling to the ground. Coralia hit her head on a rock, and started to fade from consciousness.

***

After Katniss and Peeta had cleansed themselves of their blisters, they pulled Finnick into the water. It took him a second to register his surroundings, but when he did, he shot up, shouting Coralia's name.

"Where is she? Where's Cora?" He asked frantically.

"I don't know where she landed, but there hasn't been a canon. She's still alive." Katniss told Finnick, who began looking for her. Katniss started to trust him more; seeing how genuine his emotions were.

"Finnick, she's over here!" Peeta shouted, making out a silhouette of a body next to a rock. Finnick ran towards her, pulling her body in his arms. He sighed in relief when he saw her chest moving up and down. However, if they didn't get her into the water soon, it was possible that it would stop rising and falling. He noticed a cut on her forehead; most likely from hitting the rock.

Peeta, though Finnick could've done it himself, helped bring Coralia to the pond that had gotten rid of their blisters from the acid fog. Katniss thought Coralia's face was similar to Glimmer; after she had been stung by the tracker jackers.

As soon as Coralia's body was submerged, she screamed underwater, causing her throat to burn. Finnick winced, hating to see her in pain, but knowing it would help. He propped her head up; she was squeezing her eyes shut and writhing in pain. Katniss rubbed the water on Coralia's skin, trying to channel her mother's steadiness while working with a patient.

"I'm going to get some leaves for her cut." Katniss announced.

"Cora, open your eyes. It's over now. The last of your blisters are washing away. It's okay, you can open your eyes. I'm right here. I love you." Finnick pleaded. Her eyes fluttered open, and she managed to speak though her throat was sore.

"I love you, too." She lifted her arm up weakly, stroking the side of his cheek. She was surprised she had regained control of her limbs.

***

After the blisters had been washed away from her body, and she was completely coherent, Coralia realized she had lost her trident. Peeta was trusting enough to let her borrow an extra knife, but she felt unprotected. Katniss had put moss and leaves over the cut on her forehead.

Coralia still sat in the pond, next to Katniss and Finnick. Peeta was getting sap from a tree near by.

"Thank you, Katniss. You could've left me in the fog, but you didn't. I won't forget that." Coralia said, and Katniss smiled slightly.

Suddenly, Finnick tensed beside them. When they looked at him, he gestured with a nod to the trees. Katniss pulled an arrow out of her quiver as Coralia saw all of the monkeys moving towards them. They looked dangerous, but they weren't doing anything yet. However, Coralia felt like if they moved the wrong way, they'd be dead within a second.

Finnick slowly grabbed his trident out of the water, and Coralia wrapped her hand tightly around the handle of the knife.

"Peeta?" Katniss whispered. "Move over here slowly." His eyes widened at the mutts, but did as Katniss said. As they started to growl, the tributes knew they needed to get out of there.

"We need to get to the beach." Coralia said quietly.

It was as if the monkeys knew their plan; they started lunging towards them. With only a knife in her hand, Coralia didn't feel very confident.

The first one lunged towards Peeta, getting a machete through the chest. Coralia stabbed Peeta's knife through one of their eyes, buying herself a little time. Finnick spun his trident over his head before taking out a couple of them.

Katniss looked away for one moment, which was not a good idea. A monkey had pinned her under water, trying its best to bite her face off. Seeing that Finnick and Peeta were preoccupied, she went for the monkey with only small knife in her hand.

She jumped on top of the creature, slitting it's throat, and then helping Katniss out of the water.

As they tried their best to get the beach, a monkey lunged towards Coralia and Katniss, causing them to fall to the ground. The monkey's attention wasn't on them, however; it was focused on Peeta. Before they could act, a body emerged from the vines, letting the monkey attack her instead.

Though she was covered in different colors, Coralia recognized the girl as one of the morphlings. This is what Plutarch had wanted.

"Who is that?" Katniss asked.

"A morphling! Help me get her!" Peeta exclaimed, picking the wounded girl up in his arms. Coralia wanted to be optimistic, but the morphling seemed to be wounded beyond repair.

Still having to fight their way towards the monkeys, the tributes finally made it to the beach where they were safe from the monkeys at last.