XVI. Let It Go

XVI. Let It Go

            This was the best place to discuss this. My room was not safe due to the possibility of eavesdroppers. Outside was the best place. There was no other place to address this. What better place than where it happened, where this conflict got started?

            I wanted to end this now before it escalated into something more dangerous.

            The sun was setting over Greenwood, animals were settling down for the night. Every fiber in my being was a live wire. I did not see why I was so nervous; this was Legolas who I would be talking with. He and I could talk easily. Not after the kiss. I pushed away the wonderful moment. It was wonderful, but it was nothing. It would never amount to anything.

            I messed with the fabric of my gown, which tonight was a warm brown. I swallowed, remembering the all too familiar feeling of anxiety. I knew Legolas would not hate me for this, he would understand. I would break his heart, but I had to. I could not risk Nikita unleashing her wrath on me if she found out I was the reason she was not to be wed to the Prince of Greenwood.

            I made it well known to Legolas during dinner that I required to speak to him. Yes, I gave in to Nikita’s offer and reluctantly joined the trio for dinner. Like I had expected, the king did not look pleased with the extra guest, but Nikita gently told the king that I was invited on her behalf. The king did not reply, so I assumed he did not think it was worth it to fight her about it.

 Dinner was an awkward thing when you were the odd Elf out. No one addressed me, which I was fine with. I preferred to eat in silence and listen anyways, not that I really could—most conversation was in Elvish. When the king and Nikita had gotten deep into conversation, I had made it known to Legolas that I wanted to talk with him. I made no indication as to where I wanted to meet him, he would figure it out on his own, being so intelligent.

It will never happen. It is forbidden in a way. Your parents would be disappointed in you if you pursued what happened. My conscience was being a real nag tonight.

I spun around the moment I heard the giveaway of feet on grass. I let out a pent-up breath, thanking the Valar that Legolas had found me and not someone else.

“I am surprised you wanted to talk to me,” he said.

“Why?”

“Why ask that question when you know the answer?”

Get right to it. “Listen. Do you think it would be possible for me to…be armed?” I did a mental forehead slap. Idiot. “I do not feel like I am in danger here, it is just for the future in case something does happen.”

“I can always stop by the armory and see what we have that can fit you, that will not be an issue. Is there anything particular that you want?”

“Most likely a dagger, something I can hide from my enemies, but something I can reach at a second’s notice.”

Legolas nodded. “I will look for such a dagger tomorrow. Now tell me, what did you really want to talk to me about?” He smirked. I know he is not an idiot, he can see right through me. Does that mean he knows me too well?

“Why ask when you know the answer?” I retorted a bit sharply. “I cannot put this off.”

“You just did, Nimalia.”

 I crossed my arms over my chest. “I am sure you have wanted to discuss this as well, but you have had no time to with the preparations for the wedding.” I emphasized wedding pretty heavily. “I just hope things do not end in disaster this time.” My voice trailed. I thoughtfully looked up at the branches above.