XII. Rising Tensions

            We traveled alongside the river for another day or two before we came across woods. Legolas located the entrance way into Greenwood. I detected a faint trace of illness from this forest, as though some disease had affected it. It did not come off as healthy as Lórien. Something evil was here.

            “It feels sort of sick,” I whispered as I halted Thalias.

            “It is still healing from the years the darkness overtook it,” Legolas explained solemnly. “It will be a surprise if anything evil still remains in here. Most of it left once Sauron was destroyed. Still, be alert. Something could attack us.”

            “You know the way?”

            “Of course. It is my home, Nimalia. Just keep Thalias close behind me, and you will not lose your way.”

            Feeling a bit apprehensive, I obeyed Legolas and nudged Thalias to trail behind the mare. I saw Nikita’s grip tighten on her husband-to-be slightly. She could sense the trace of the illness as well. I was sure we all could.

            It was not hard to picture what Greenwood—Mirkwood at the time—looked like when darkness had crept into it. I bet no light shined down through the branches, bathing the ground. I bet there were no chatty animals or healthy foliage. My mind catapulted me back into what I believed was Mirkwood.

            I could picture the trees dying, their bark looking sickly. The ground would look charred as though a fire engulfed the entire forest. I knew silence would linger, as I was sure whatever creatures once lived here were either killed or scared off thanks to the evil that made itself home in this forest.

            I quickly shut my imagination down. I could not lose focus; I did not want to lose Legolas and Nikita. Legolas did not say why it was important for me to keep close to him, only that if I did I would not lose my way. There is no harm in asking him.

            “What exactly was in here that was so dark?” I asked, my eyes warily looked at my surroundings.

            “There were a few things. You had Sauron himself who was building up his army and strength in Dol Guldor, a fortress here that is practically nonexistent ever since Lady Galadriel reduced it to nothing but rubble. And here, in these very forests, these trees were often covered in cobwebs.”

            “So spiders, then?”

            “Yes, but not the type you are thinking of, Nimalia. These were Giant Spiders. Nasty, disgusting creatures.”

            I shivered, picturing spiders the size of Thalias or even bigger, with their eight hairy legs and snapping jaws. And the eyes—those beady, gleaming eyes that sized you up as dinner. I could see the massive cobwebs that turned this once luscious forest into something sinister and haunted. Oh, anyone who dared to venture in here while the spiders were occupants was simply an idiot. Who would want to try their luck and risk being eaten?

            “Are they still around now?” I dared to ask. Thalias bobbed his head, his ears back towards me. He was listening.

            “There is a chance they may be. However, if there are, there are not many. If we happen to come across any, do not let them snatch you.”

            “I would think that would be obvious.”

            Ever since finding out about the Giant Spiders, I now became paranoid. On top of the Wild Men to be watching out for, there was the chance that spiders still lurked in Greenwood. For the love of the Valar I hoped none were watching us now. Maybe if they know Elves are dangerous, they will not bother us. I kept myself happy with the thought.