Epilogue

Epilogue

            Despite its biting temperature and wind, winter was a lovely season to behold. The days I loved the most were when it snowed. Middle-earth would be transformed into an entirely different world, one that held great, white beauty.

            Winter had come to Lórien, covering the trees in white sheets. The grass was completely swallowed up by the snow, making it very appropriate to wear shoes compared to before.

            While most were staying in their flets, watching the flakes fall, I was on the ground, letting the flakes stick to my clothes, my hair, and my skin. An overwhelming serenity washed over me.

            I had not felt such peace in quite some time. Things had improved greatly since the incident in Greenwood. After some time getting comfortable there, I had decided to return home. Legolas was more than eager to accompany me. Apparently, wherever I went, he went as well. He was smart enough to tell his father where he was running off to. He did not have to tell who with, as his father knew he would be leaving with me.

            Legolas’ father could not object to his son’s leave. Though he was the king’s son, he was old enough to come and go as he pleased.

            But we were not the only ones to leave Greenwood. We recruited Halian, and she had almost exploded when I had asked her to come with us. We took our two horses, Legolas’ mare and Thalias, as Halian could ride with either one of us. We had made the peaceful journey from one Elven place to the next. It was nice to go on a ride without the fear of having Men chase after you.

            Let me tell you, it was difficult coming home, what with Elves still giving me rude looks. I had immediately sought out Lady Galadriel when we arrived. Halian nearly keeled over in awe when being before the Lady of the Wood. I had told Lady Galadriel everything that had happened in specific detail, and she believed every word of it. Even though Legolas’ word was not needed, he voiced his version of my tale. And Halian did not hesitate to put in a few words, though she did become uneasy at recounting her capture by the Wild Men.

 Lady Galadriel also thought up something neither Legolas nor I would have caught earlier: Nikita had been the reason behind her vague vision that happened months before the wedding. She had tried to cloud the Lady’s mind so no one would see the actual threat coming until it was too late.

            Once I told Galadriel of what had happened in Greenwood, she then relayed it to all the Elves, and then things improved with them. They slowly warmed up to me, hearing that they had been deceived by Nikita. Some of their remarks on her were not very pleasant, let me tell you. Oftentimes I heard some wish for her to rot in the cell she remained in, and others wished she had been killed by the Royal Guard in Greenwood on the day of the wedding.

            My eyes watched individual flakes pass by my face. I could not help but smile. Each flake was unique, just like every being in Middle-earth was.

            I had followed Elven voices through the snow, coming upon Halian entertaining a few friends of both genders. I leaned against a tree as she used wild hand gestures to tell her story. Those around her watched her, reacting properly at certain parts of her tale.

            “It is not nice to spy on others.”

            I jumped a foot in the air, nearly falling face first into the snow. I did not turn around, because just from his voice, I knew who he was.

            “It is not nice to sneak up on others,” I retorted playfully. “Even in snow we are silent.”

            “I do not know who she has not told that tale to.”