XIX. Collateral Damage

            “What are you?”

            “Elleth,” I spoke.

            Halian smiled. “Your name?”

            “Im Nimalia eston.”

            “Do not sound so confident, I am teaching you basics.” Halian adjusted herself on my bed. “Now, let me teach you some new phrases.”

            “I am ready.” For some reason, I straightened my back out.

            “Do not sit so erect, I am not the king.” She giggled. I slumped against the plush pillows behind me. “Listen carefully. Remember, enunciation is everything.”

            “You act as though you are the creator of the language.”

            “Listen.” Her blue eyes narrowed. “Berio nin.” I repeated the small phrase. “It means ‘save me’. I could teach you some…naughty phrases.” She waggled her eyebrows suggestively. I immediately felt uncomfortable.

            “We go from basics to those? What good would they do me?”

            “You could find yourself a mate and he may only speak Elvish. You may become very intimate with him and—”

            “Daro,” I spat, waving my hands wildly at her. “No more. Do not go any further than that!”

            Halian laughed. “I enjoy seeing you look so innocent to such a topic.”

            “You are not?” I raised an inquiring eyebrow.

            “Oh, I am. I have never done such a thing. No one here suits me. As much as I want to find my mate, my fear holds me back.”

            “Well, whenever I choose to leave, I will take you with me.” I smiled.

            “All right, here are a few good ones. Gi melin. De melin.” She took a second to think up more phrases. “Ci velethron e-guilen.”

            “I am sensing a pattern.”

            “They all pertain to love.” She batted her eyelashes.

            I snorted. “Where are you going with this, Halian?”

            “Nowhere.”

            “You lie.”

            She shrugged. “Those are just a few good things to know if you find your soul mate.”

            “Can I know what they mean?”

            “The first was ‘I love you’. The second was ‘I love him or her’, depending on who you are speaking about. The last one is ‘you are the love of my life’.”

            “I do not think I will ever speak such phrases.”

            “You may. I am sure you will charm an ellon one day and you both will have each other’s hearts.” She sighed dreamily.

            “I think leaving Greenwood will do you some good.” I laughed. “You have been here so long that you are fantasizing other’s love lives.”