XXII. The Race Against Time

            I could not wrap my head around it. Nikita, Legolas’ soon-to-be-bride, was behind the attacks? She was allied with the Men? Obviously Legolas was unaware; otherwise Nikita would have been found out and dealt with a long time ago.

            Still, there was one thing that was missing from this massive puzzle: why? What motivated Nikita to do all of this? What drove her to allying herself with the very scum that had punished me for years?

            Maybe if Halian and I could shed some light on this eventual assassination, Nikita’s motives would come to light as well.

            Once we were out of the one part of the forest, the trees began to thin. Light began to pour through the holes in the trees, but it was moonlight. Night was upon us.

            “She would not commit the murder now, would she?” I asked Halian. “The wedding was today!”

            “The Men are on the move, Nim. Use your head! They plan to attack. I bet you she will try to have them take down the king. Slow him down here, we are close.”

            With guidance from Halian, I stopped Thalias. We slid off his back, and I patted him before we left. While we went to find access back into Greenwood, Thalias grazed lazily, as though he had no cares in the world.

            “There should be an entrance here near the river.” Halian took lead since she knew where we were going. My thoughts went to the ceremony inside Greenwood’s walls, everyone unaware of what could possibly happen soon. I could picture the Men stealing elleths, grabbing some sort of prize if the murder of the king was unsuccessful. What if they threatened the people to get to the king?

            Halian and I were not sure what the plan was, but we were going to find out somehow.

            “Here.” Halian found a hidden stair path concealed by greenery. We lithely bounded up the steps, hearing the roaring waters behind us. “They are already inside. Look.”

            The door was left agape, looking as though it was broken into. I swallowed, picturing the Men sneaking around. I wondered how hard it would be for them to get past Elves with acute hearing.

            We slipped between the door and the wall, plunging into darkness. Halian took my hand, leading me blindly. I knocked into the brick walls a time or two but not severely enough to where it hurt.

            “You are sure you know where we are going?” I asked quietly.

            “Yes, I have been here longer than you. Have faith in me, Nim.”

            “We have to stop this.”

            “I agree. You will have to get their attention.”

            “Whose?”

            “Either the king’s or the prince’s.”

            “Why me? Halian, you forget I am banished. The moment anyone recognizes me, I am jailed for life.”

            “No one will listen to me; no one knows who I am. To anyone, I will be considered young with a very creative mind, a voice that will not be heard. No one will take me seriously more so with my appearance. You are a different story.”

            “I look no better than you, Halian. Even if I found the king or the prince, neither would listen.”

            “You have to try, Nim.” Faint, melodic music entered our ears. “Once we find the crowd, we will separate. I will keep watch for Men or guards; I will stay in your area.”