Chapter 14

Kamya led Ash though the maze of corridors back to their rooms. Once inside she called to have dinner brought up for just the two of them. "What really happened today?" Kamya soothed, her eyes locked on the bruises on his face.

"Princess, it's fine." Ash dismissed.

Kamya shook her head and sighed. "Well, I spoke to Mother. We'll have the official ceremony in nine days. The healers expect Father to be awake by then."

"I don't think we're supposed to be talking about that."

"Our wedding?"

"The other subject."

Kamya rolled her eyes. "Are you really okay?"

"I'll be fine." Ash promised. It wasn't like he hadn't had worse.

Kamya pursed her lips and her eyes drifted back to the bruise across his face but let it go. "You have a meeting with our haberdasher for tomorrow and will be measured properly for clothes. I must ask Tritos to avoid aiming for you face before our wedding." Kamya's fingers traced the bruise again. She hated the nasty purplish coloring and the way his face was swelling. She imagined that had to be particularly painful.

"Can I speak with your mother?" Ash asked after a long moment and Ash watched emotions flicker over Kamya's face before she settled on annoyance.

"Why?"

"I have questions."

"Why can't you ask me?"

Ash sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "Kamya, this situation is complicated. You and I are strangers. You are my princess, but your mother is still my queen. She knows more about what's going on than either of us. Please?" Ash softly pleaded, he didn't have the energy to argue.

Kamya had seduction on the brain, but the gentle pleading in Ash's eyes had her relenting. With a reluctant sigh she opened the door. "Halvar, please escort my husband to my mother. She's probably still in Father's study."

Ash followed the guard and the tension radiated off of him. This man hated him and he, like everyone else, probably assumed that Ash had preyed upon the princess. He was probably convinced Ash had somehow tricked or otherwise coerced the princess to marry him.

When Ash was ushered into the study Sabhira was behind her husband's desk reading. "Your majesty." Ash bowed low.

"Rise. You don't need to do that." Sabhira dismissed with a wave of her hand. "Leave us for a moment. Go eat or something." Ash's stomach dropped as the healers filed out. "What is it?"

"I was hoping I might be allowed to ask you some questions." Ash admitted, his eyes locked on the floor by his feet.

Sabhira studied him for a long moment. His shoulders were raised and he curled in on himself. His hands were balled into fists at his side. She'd seen false humility more that she cared for but it was obvious to her the boy wasn't acting. She'd listened to her daughter complain half the day about how Ash had hardly touched her. As frustrating as it was to Kamya, the words she'd heard led her to believe there was more to the boy that she'd first believed. Sabhira set her healing scroll down and rose. She eyed Ash as she came from behind the desk to lean against it less than a foot away from the boy. "Very well, but first I have questions of my own."

"Yes, your majesty."

"Tell me of your family."

Ash was startled and confused. "What do you mean?"

"You parents, both are deceased? Correct?"

"Yes, your majesty."

"How did they die?"