Chapter 30

Ash barely slept. He felt every movement in the bed and Kamya tossed and turned all night. Just before sunrise he abandoned the warm nest of blankets and dressed. Silent as a shadow he made his way down to the training grounds, only one of the castle guards at his back. If nothing else, it was outside and he'd get to see the sunrise. He needed to do something with his body. It was used to the abuse of the farm and learning the art of swordplay and tactical fisticuffs wasn't the same. As tired as he was, his body needed to be moved.

He started practicing with a heavy claymore. He didn't want to think. He got into stance and lifted the sword and brought the heavy sword down in a powerful stroke. He then returned to his stance and did it again. And again. Repetition. Swing after swing. Ash swung the sword until his arms went numb and still he practiced.

As the sun rose Ash continued. He still had time before he was expected to break his fast. Unbeknownst to him, he was being watched. The training grounds were readily visible from multiple vantage points. Three separate sets of eyes watched the new king practice. Aisling watched her nephew with a combination of distaste and amusement. Reedrick stared down from his window at the future of his country, and Tritos watched from the shadows.

Tritos found himself reluctant to help Ash due to the simple fact that he was being forced to, but he couldn't deny there was something in the stoic silence of the boy that made him want to see him succeed. It was uncharacteristically altruistic of him and it concerned him. Tritos let the boy work himself into a sweaty mess before he made his presence known.

"Your swing has power but leaves you terribly exposed." Tritos drawled.

Ash jumped and nearly dropped the sword. "Give a man some warning." Ash gasped as he caught his breath.

"That was your warming. Watch." Tritos took the sword from Ash and in a graceful arc maneuvered the heavy sword as easily as he would a butter knife. "When you swing straight down you leave your back and head exposed. You're a king now. Your head is a worthy trophy."

Ash gulped as his hand went to his throat. The truth in Tritos's words stung.

"But I suspect you weren't training for technique this morning." Tritos returned the claymore to its rightful place and picked up two wooden sparring swords. Ash was grateful not to have to talk or explain. Instead he caught the sword Tritos tossed to him and got into the stance he'd been taught. Tritos and Ash sparred and Ash threw his everything into the fight. All the frustration, the anger, the unfairness of the situation he threw into his every swing.

Tritos was caught off guard by the ferocity behind Ash's aggression. The power behind his swings was more intense than he'd planned on and Tritos had to actually work to parry every blow. Tritos let him go until both were panting. "You're improving." Tritos praised as he offered a hand. Ash shook before he handed the sword back to Tritos.

"Thanks."

"We'll make a general of you yet." Tritos clasped Ash on the shoulder. "You need nourishment. Let's get you some food." Tritos led Ash back to the Great Hall. Ash appreciated the easy silence between them. He didn't want to talk. He wanted the blissful silence. Ash led Tritos to the head table and the two ate in that comfortable silence until Ash's advisors saw him and started over.

"Your majesty, we need to start making arrangements for your journey to the Royal Seelie Court."

"I'm aware." Ash dismissed annoyed that now reality would again sink in.

"When you're finished, we should have these discussions."

Ash pushed his breakfast to the side. He was finished now, just the thought of what was to come turned his stomach. "Let's go then. Prince Tritos, will you join us when you finish."