Chapter 3

Kamya was woken early in the morning by her personal handmaid. "Princess, your highness, wake up! A prince has arrived. You mustn't keep him waiting."

Kamya had groaned as she stretched and blinked bleary eyes. "Emilia? What time is it?"

"Just after dawn. We need to hurry." The panic in Emilia's voice brought Kamya to attention. "A party of the Sidhe arrived right at dawn. There's a Seelie prince who's looking to court you, my lady. We have to hurry! Your mother and father are already on their way down to greet him. We must prepare you and we mustn't keep him waiting."

Kamya's breath caught in her throat and let out a groan. "Very well then, I suppose it can't be helped. Call for some tea, would you?" Kamya sighed as she dragged herself from her bed.

"Of course!" Emilia signaled the kitchens before she threw open the rich, velvety curtains and revealed the ornate stained glass windows illuminated in the early morning light. The stained glass windows in her rooms and bathing chambers told the history of the first kings and queens of Albion. "There, that's better, isn't it?"

Kamya glowered at the intruding light. She would have much preferred a few more hours of sleep, but a princess's duty was always first to her country. Emilia helped Kamya rush through her morning routine. As she wove the princess's raven, waist length hair into a complicated braid she debriefed her princess on the information she was privy to. While she didn't have all the information, she was able to tell Kamya the kingdom and prince that had come to court her.

Kamya began reviewing everything she knew about her suitor's home. Emilia helped her princess into a gown of rich crimson with golden trim, two of her country's colors. It was a clear message and she wasn't oblivious to it. Kamya knew it was a statement of independence. This prince's country was at war and if they created a marriage alliance it would pull her country into war. She couldn't allow that. She wouldn't allow that. Unless this prince wanted to sacrifice his own people to protect his own kingdom and hers, there was no way a marriage was a viable option.

No, even then if she agreed to a marriage alliance her trade agreement would be at risk. She'd most likely need to break with opposing kingdoms, mostly Unseelie, if she married a Seelie prince. That was risking war in and of itself. Kamya rubbed her forehead as a cup of tea was set before her. It was too early in the morning to be calculating her country's revenue lost with trade agreements and the threat of blood payments.

"Thank you." she muttered as she stole a grateful sip. Today was going to be a long day. She'd have to accept the prince courting her and find a way to politely turn him down without offending him or any of his court. Kamya dismissed Emilia as she finished her tea. She appreciated the alone time, it gave her a chance to clear her head and ready herself for the day. She pulled her notes from the neighboring kingdom Geitonas. She wanted to be sure she hadn't missed anything. They currently had a healthy trade agreement with them and she would wager half the kingdom's gold they had sent their youngest son, Tritos.

Kamya took one final deep breath before she headed down to do her duty. She'd done all she could to prepare and couldn't delay any further. Emilia was waiting faithfully outside her door along with her private guards, Halvar and Sigurd. Kamya's entourage marched dutifully behind her. Just outside the dining hall, the head of the servant's staff, Enoch gave her a kindly smile before he announced her to the room.

He cleared his throat before his old voice rang clear. "Princess Kamya, heir to the throne of the kingdom of Albion. Your royal highness, may I present to you, your mother and father, Queen Sabhira and King Reedrick, the reigning monarchs of Albion. Our ally from Geitonas, may I present Prince Tritos, third son of the house of Exousia and his royal court."