Chapter 10

Captain barked orders at his crew and ship was out of port within mere minutes. The salty wind filled the sails and the Jolly Roger quickly gained speed. Once she was cutting through the water the captain led Ash and Kamya to the captain's quarters. "Tour time. These are my private quarters." Captain explained as he gestured to the closed door. "There is no reason for you to go in them. They are mine and mine alone. If anyone, even a princess, enters my quarters, any punishment I see fit will be distributed, up to and including death. Do not go into my quarters without my expressed permission and invitation. Have I made myself clear?"

Kamya nodded as her nerves coiled in her chest and a large lump formed in her throat. Ash's eyes met the captain's eyes and it wasn't a friendly look. "Understood, but if you harm the princess, for any reason, you have broken our agreement and I will do everything within my power to protect her and all of Albion."

Captain smirked. "Did you just threaten me?"

"I think I made myself clear." Ash shot back, surprising even himself. He hadn't stood up to someone directly in years. Then again, for years the only person he'd needed to protect was Blythe. Ash hoped his bravado was convincing. "Where can the princess stay while we are on this ship?"

"My ship." Captain corrected. "That's right, and don't forget that. But Princess, do know we don't intend to harm you." Captain's eyes met Ash's and the challenge was clear. But on my ship there are rules that everyone follows. These rules are not negotiable."

Ash nodded. "I can follow rules, I just can't allow my princess to be harmed."

"Captain!" one of the crewmen ran up. "Behind us, a ship is approaching."

Captain looked and sure enough, they'd barely lost sight of land and it looked like a fleet of ships were casting off behind them. "Friends of yours?"

"I don't imagine so."

"All hands on deck men! Catch us the wind! The Jolly Roger can outrun them!" Captain ordered and the men sprang into action like a well oiled machine. Once everyone was in place and the ship was moving at her swiftest Captain turned his full attention to Kamya. "Mind telling me what me and my crew just signed up for?"

"There was an assassination attempt on the princess."

"Why?"

Ash spared a glance for Kamya. "She is searching for her husband and some of the countries feel if she isn't marrying them, she's an enemy and a threat."

"Searching for a husband you say?" Captain smirked as he stroked his beard with his hand.

"I have no interest in a pirate." Kamya spat, the thought enough to boil her blood.

"Course not." Captain winked. "So who am I up against?"

"Everyone. Seelie and Unseelie fae and I imagine a few mortal kingdoms as well."

"Us against the world is it?" Captain looked around his ship at his crew. "I like the odds. Hear that boys? Us against the world!" The crew chorused their enthusiasm with grunts and whoops and various other shouts as they kept the Jolly Roger at her best. Captain quietly asked Ash, "We expecting a fight to the death?"

"Hopefully not." Ash's eyes locked on Kamya. Her eyes couldn't hide the fear her stiff stance tried to.

"Ah right, well, we best start thinking then."

"Right. Captain, is there anywhere she can rest? It's been a traumatic night. She may need her rest soon and I don't want anything to happen to her while she rests."

Captain eyed Kamya for a long moment. "We have a storeroom with a lock. I'll show you." Ash and Kamya followed Captain and he helped her settle in Then Ash left her alone, locked inside. The only key now hung around Ash's own neck, a small precaution Captain was kind enough to indulge.