it sucks but he makes it a little better

"FUCK, HOW!?" I half yell, half-laugh as he beats me for what feels like the 100th time.

"Maybe you're just not cut out to be a winner." He nudges me, looking at me smugly.

"Shut up, Kevin." I grin, nudging back into him. The couch was quite small, which meant we had to sit close together. Not that he seemed to mind.

He grins, "you know you say that a lot."

"You know you talk too much?" I gain a chuckle in response.

He leans forward on the couch, taking a sip of his soda, "come on, I'll go easy on you this time."

"You said that the last ten times!"

"But I really mean it this time, I promise!" He whines though he breaks into a laugh.

"Pinky promise."

"Huh?"

"You heard me," I stated as I held out my pinky for him.

He held back a snicker as he links his finger with mine, "I promise (y/n)." The strange sincerity of the statement took me off guard. Despite his apparent need to mess around constantly I believed him.

"Then let's play!"

We had a few more rounds and, surprisingly I actually won two.

I pretended not to notice the worried glances he'd shoot me each time he thought I was focused on the game. I know what he's thinking, I've thought it too. A work call? What kind of idiot would buy that? He's right if he's thinking that, I've seen the texts. I've known for weeks, but I love him. I thought maybe if I tried harder I'd be good enough, but the "overtime" is getting more frequent and I can't, I just can't do it anymore.

//Kevin//

I sigh, resting back into the couch but as I look over at her I notice somethings wrong, she's not grinning or bragging because she'd won her second game. She was...crying?

"(Y/n)?"

She simply shook her head in response, her glossy hair following in suit.

"Hey, are you okay?"

I rest my hand on her back, not really sure what to do. I understand why she's upset, but is it wrong to ask her to talk about it?

To my surprise she leans back, pushing herself against my palm. I take that as my cue to pull her into a hug, she rests her head on my shoulder, not speaking as she sobs quietly. I squeeze her softly, pulling her closer as I rest my chin on the top of her head.

"You're okay, " I hum quietly, "it'll be okay."

I try not to move to disturb her as her breathing steadies out and her sobs seem more spaced apart. My shoulders had been playing up recently though, just as I'd been bragging about them getting better and I knew I'd need to move to a more comfortable position soon.

"(Y/n)?" I mumble softly into her hair, lifting my head to look at her when she doesn't respond. She looked peaceful, no longer crying, her slightly puffy eyes shut. Her sodden eyelashes fanned out just above her cheekbones, her mouth opening slightly as she lets out a soft sigh in her sleep, nuzzling her face into my neck. The air caught in my throat at the sensation and I knew instantly there was no chance of my getting any sleep with her warm breath cascading over my neck.

I shivered softly, imagining her lips against my neck before quickly brushing away the thought.

When I'm confident she's in deep sleep I shift on the couch, resting my head on the armrest and allowing my legs to dangle over the opposite end. I pull her down with me gently, her head coming to rest down on my chest. This, I could sleep like this.