you're clumsy but that's okay

We should've swapped numbers, I mentally kicked myself. It's been a week and every time I step out of the apartment complex I silently hope I bump into him.

That might sound wrong, but I don't mean it like that, he was just a decent guy. The kind of guy my boyfriend wouldn't be intimidated by if I started to hang out with him more.

Speaking off, it was our three year anniversary today and he's out of work in an hour, which means I need to go buy a new dress. Cutting it fine I know, but it shouldn't take too long to shop and I can meet him outside his work since my favourite shop is on the way.

I stumble down the apartment stairs, double-checking my car key was in my purse as I scrambled out the main doors.
With my hands buried in my bag and my eyes following their frantic search I didn't have the chance to look up before I crashed into the firm body in front of me.

"What the feck!?" The figure yelped, stunned as the grocery bags he had in his hands dropped to the floor."

"Oh my God, I'm so- Kevin?"

"Somehow I doubt that." He huffed, picking up his bags before looking at me.

"Kevin, " I repeated, meeting his eye, "Hey!"

"What's got you so distracted you failed to notice walking perfection in front of you?"

I laugh awkwardly, blushing slightly, he watches me with a grin. "I wouldn't say perfection."

"No? Then what would you call me, Miss clumsy." I wasn't too sure I liked the new nickname.

"A cocky arsehole." I snorted.

A fake pout etches it's way onto his features before he chuckles.
"Yeah yeah, I'm that too."

"At least you admit it, " I grin, "and to answer your question I have an hour to get a new dress and meet Craig in time for him to finish work."

"Why do you need a new dress to meet him?" His brows quirked up.

"Well, it's our anniversary so..."

"So? Go like that," He shrugs in gesture to the casual outfit I was currently sporting, "then you can spend longer talking to me." He grinned.

"I really do have to go Kevin, but I'd love your number, I need someone challenging to play smash bros. with - if you're up for it."

"You have a switch?" He grinned.

"Yeah."

"What happened to the PC master race?" He asked, in an accusatory tone.

"Shut up Kevin." I rolled my eyes with a laugh.

He grinned, pulling out his phone asking for mine as we swap numbers.

We say a quick goodbye as he shuffles toward the apartment block, shopping bags in hand as I turn to the parking lot.

I wish we could've talked longer. He really would make a good best friend, and I knew practically no one in Ireland.

After 20 minutes of shopping, I'd narrowed it down to two dresses, a long navy spaghetti strap one or a short black one with 3/4 length sleeves. They both made very different statements but I liked both of them equally. I chewed my lip, I knew I didn't have long to decide.

With a huff I pick up my phone, taking a photo of me in each, ready to send it to my best friend. Then I realised they'd be asleep, we met before I moved so they were in an entirely different time zone now.

So instead my fingers hovered over another number, 'cocky arsehole' I smiled softly at the name he'd given himself, but that would be weird right? We barely know each other. It would be a good icebreaker to offer friendship though. Fuck it.