LBAAF- Chapter 13

Chapter Thirteen

    I had imagined and counted on my stepmother to try and stop my coronation today. Yet there she stood smiling at me with false pride. In her eyes I could see the desire to cut me down grow with every step I took toward the throne.

    On either side of me, nobles and dignitaries bowed lowly. Jon beside me on my right with his hand under mine where I laid mine delicately on top of his. Our progression slow because of the overly large and ornate coronation gown the royal tailor had only altered lightly yesterday to fit me perfectly. Jon had to help balance me because I wasn't used to dressing like this in a long time.

    At the steps of the throne, my stepmother rose from the throne and I saw the tightening of her jaw at having to step to the side of it. She hated that she had to let me sit for even a second. It was her desire that I had never returned but now she was forced to let me take my rightful place.

    My eyes falling to the throne and memories of my father came to me. Times when I was little and I'd rush up to him even when he was in the middle of his stately duties. He'd laughed and lift me up and place me on his knee to leave me as he continued.

    But not every time was happy, especially after he remarried to my stepmother. She would counter that it wasn't proper to have me during audiences. He would concede even if neither of us wanted to stop. I liked hearing my father rule and I had learned even at those young years of how to rule properly because of those times on his knee.

    Jon helped me to turn toward my people as servants rushed to reposition the grand train. Once they were done, I slowly sat down on the throne. Fully on the throne, the room rose as one turning toward me. All eyes expectant and delighted by the sight on me here where I belonged.

    Lord Galian moved to bow before me on bended knee as a servant who held the crown that once rested on my father's head stood next to him. "It is a great honor to have a true descendant of the first Angelic people to rule us again."

    Rising, he took the crown from the gilded pillow and walked around to stand behind my throne. "And now to crown our beloved Princess Snowden as our new Queen!" I felt as he slowly lowered the crown toward me head.

    Everyone gasped as a silver arrow sliced through the air and struck the crown knocking it out of Lord Galian's hands. Guards rushed over to the entrance of the great hall when a man stood. He didn't even care as he tossed the bow that he held to a guard that approached. The guards brought him forward.

    Lord Galian sucked in a breathe. "Sir Lucien, what is the meaning of this?"

    The golden haired man smiled at me before he knelt. "I have sworn to protect our true Queen. I was fulfilling that pledge."

    Jon stepped forward. "How were you fulfilling that pledge when you interrupted the coronation?"

    The knight looked at my stepmother. "I suggest you place that particular crown on her."

    "But Snow is the rightful Queen."

    Sir Lucien moved his eyes to Jon now. "That is true, but not with that crown." Jon glared at the knight.

    I rose from the throne and many bowed. "Are you trying to tell us that that crown has been tainted?"

    The knight smiled as he bowed his head. "As quick as your father was when I was but a squire." Then he rose and looked to my stepmother. "You should have been more careful where you plot as you have no idea whose hidden within the room."

    Lord Galian walked over to the crown and examined it. "Are you sure about what you've heard?" The knight bowed his head in acknowledgement. Lord Galian turned to my stepmother whose eyes grew wide with fear. "Would you wear this crown your majesty?"