LBAAF- Chapter 12

Chapter Twelve

    Jon smiled as he held me with an arm around my waist. I was more than shocked at seeing so many in the streets cheering and waving as we drove through each city on the way to the palace. Flower pedals cascading down from windows as we passed them. Children ran happily beside the car as they asked me if I was really their princess.

    "See, your people have missed you." Jon caressed my cheek before he leaned over and gave me a peek.

    We haven't kissed yet as each time we were interrupted one way or another. A small kiss on my cheek was the closest we have been fated to do just yet. I was still un-kissed to both mine and Jon's dismay.

    Our progression slowed as we neared the palace. We had been in the capital as the people great dramatically in numbers. Wave after wave of surprise and delight fluttered all around our entourage. There was hope there too that had my heart tighten wondering what my stepmother has down to my own people.

    Our vehicle pulled up to the glittering marble steps of the palace. The steps lined with all the nobles and officials dressed in their finest. All standing up straight as the car stopped and a guard came to the door to the car. Jon slipped out before he turned to me with a reassuring nod knowing I was very nervous and still unsure about myself.

    With a deep breathe, my hand slid into his and he guided me out of the car. All at once, everyone on the steps bowed and the guards knelt onto one knee. Even the guard that opened the door was knelt on bended knee with his head bowed in honor of my presence.

    Jon helped guided me up the steps. His hand on my lower back for my comfort. His other hand in mine to keep my calm as my heart pounded wildly with each step we took. He was my rock and he knew it very well.

    Behind me I could feel Miron following us. He didn't want me to face my stepmother without him. For that I was grateful. He even cleaned up very well and wore those refined clothes perfectly. No one would think that he had been a rogue trader and not a noble as he looks now.

    We stopped before the last step as the High Council knelt. All at once they rose and they smiled at me. "Our beloved Princess. It warms our heart to see the rumors of your demise ring false." Lord Galian bowed again before he moved aside holding his hand out to me.

    Jon gave my hand a brief squeeze before he secretly nudged me forward. That gave me the strength to take that solitary step to the leader of the High council as Jon's grandfather had informed me when he told me about whom had what position. Everyone wanted me prepared for my return to my people.

    My hand in Lord Galian's, he turned me toward my people. "My people! Rejoice as our Princess has been returned to us!" My breathe caught as the crowd roared to life even more than before. Tears came to my eyes knowing how wrong I had been to believe my stepmother when she said the people didn't want me at all. Right here proved her wrong.

    Lord Galian bowed his head and kissed my hand delicately. The people cheering even more as he looked up to me. "Thank you for returning Princess." He rose and guided me into the palace. After we were passed the doors, he leaned a little into me. "We are in need of your rule most desperately." He had whispered only loud enough for me to hear him. His voice now higher than a hushed hum, but I heard him well.

    My enlarged entourage with all the nobles and officials escorted us right into the throne room where my stepmother sat upon the throne where my father had once sat. Where I was destined to sit and rule as it was my birthright no matter what she has tried in order to deny me.

    The nobles lined the room and Lord Galian brought me before my stepmother who was the current Queen. He bowed to her. "Our beloved Princess has returned to us my Queen."