LBAAF- Chapter 10

Chapter Ten

    We both stiffened before I moved Snow behind and then my guard was right there with us. Snow held a hand over her mouth stifling her scream as she watched Miron fall to his knees. The chicken falling to the ground and rushed away. An arrow sticking out of his right shoulder.

    My eyes looked behind him where the arrow came from. The hunter crept out of the bushes. His crossbow pointed our away. He looked just as determined as ever with his eyes trained on Snow but the arrow trained on me.

    "Tsk. Tsk. Told you boy to never stand between me and my prey."

    As quick as I could, I soon had the gun my grandfather made sure I had on me at all times out and waiting. Most importantly when I go off on my own with a guard. It wasn't much at all. Thank god I've been taught how to use one from the time I was twelve years old. My mother wouldn't let me learn any sooner than that.

    "I do like her hair like that. Looks like beautiful rays of pure sunlight. A shame that I have to end that light forever."

    His eyes flashed for a second to Miron. "I should have known he lied to me. Not everyday that I'm fooled so easily and give out such precious herb."

    Snow fisted my shirt and I was happy she was staying close to me. "Thank you by the way." Her voice didn't waver and sounded so strong as she mocked him. "If you hadn't given him the herb, I would have died from infection. So you see, you saved my life."

    The hunter grimaced as it felt like something about what she just said affected him. He growled deeply. "Stop that! Don't thank me."

    Snow slipped out from behind me. "But I do thank you with all my heart. I know you have a heart too because you felt compassion for Miron when he told you the story of his sister. She had died from what you saved me from. He only lied about whom his sister was not how she was before she died."

    Her words were affecting him. Even so, both my guard and I matched her as she walked toward him. His crossbow bowed now and he fought hard against her goodness. His head shaking a bit and it looked to me that he was pressing the butt of the crossbow into his sternum.

    Suddenly his crossbow snapped right back up and now was pointing right at Snow. "Stop it! I will not be deterred from my prey. The only way my prey lives is if I'm dead."

    "Please no one needs to died today." Snow placed her hand over her heart. "I don't wish to see anyone die."

    "Sorry to disappoint, but my agreement only ends with a death." His eyes darkened. "Yours or mine beautiful." His eyes flashed to me for a second when he said mine.

    Was he telling me to shoot him?

    Miron moaned and turned over. The hunter walked over to him and nudged him with his foot. "He'll be fine. I made sure not to hit anything too vital. Just make sure it's a physician the removes my arrow."

    Miron looked up at the hunter and grabbed his leg. "Don't kill her, please. I know you lost your family but she's my family."

    The hunter knocked his hand away. "I know she's not because she's an only child."

    Miron latched onto the hunter's cloak now. "But she is family to me. Not by blood but by our spirits. I won't let you take her away from me."

    With a yank, the hunter pulled his cloak from Miron's grasp. "I've told you before, all I have left in this world is my reputation for never failing to get my prey." The hunter turned his arrow on me once again. "And from the embrace I witnessed, she wouldn't live without."