Chapter Fifty Six

--------------------------------------------

Dedication: TanyaStaini for the awesome cover on the side. Thanks for taking the time and effort to make one for me. I love it! :) <3

-----------------------------------------------

The figure of speech 'Time went by as slow as a snail' really wouldn't be precise enough. The time for two lessons to drag by was excruciating. To the extent that you wouldn't understand. I had been trying to get a hold of Jason ever since lunch, but for some reason, he wasn't picking up.

Why the hell would he have a phone and not use it?

I know I shouldn't be taking my anger out on him, but I can't help it. Mel was in hospital battling for her life and her daughter's life, and what am I doing?

Sitting in school.

The anger, frustration and fear were pulsating through my body at an unhealthy rate. My heart beat had not been at a normal rate ever since I answered the phone at lunch. I'm not sure if I really can go into cardiac arrest at this age, but I think I'm probably getting close. My body was in ultra-freak out mode.

I have no idea what lessons I had been in and what I was learning. My whole mind was consumed with one single thought.

Would they live?

But then there was a whisper in the back of my mind that followed that question.

What would I do without them?

I sighed heavily again, raking my fingers through my hair. I slumped forward, thumping my forehead against the hard wood. I was so angry that Jason wasn't replying. He was my ride home today and I immediately want to go to the hospital. Well, when I say he was my ride, I mean I use his car and force him to let me drive.

I need to know she will be okay.

As soon as the bell buzzed loudly, signaling school being finished, I leapt out of my seat and began running out of the room. I threw my stuff in my locker, hardly locking it properly. I sprinted out the front of the school and began to wait rather impatiently for Jason. I could hardly stand still, so I began pacing backwards and forwards. If I did stand, my foot wood began tapping erratically, which would jolt me into pacing again.

When I saw him and I stomped up to him and prodded him in the chest with my finger, my eyes into slits. His eyes widened in surprise at the look of my face, before a scared expression overtook it. He took a couple of steps back, rubbing the spot on his chest I had so rudely stabbed.

"Um... have I done something wrong?" he asked in a quiet voice, his eyes wide and a little fearful. I must look like the wicked witch from the west right now.

"Why weren't you answering your phone?" I cried out, my face growing hot. I reached forward and smacked his arm hard, but he hardly even flinched. He raised his hands in a peace signal, before digging into his pockets. He retrieved his phone and waved it in the air.

"Flat battery."

"God," I choked out, running my hands over my face. Tears began bubbling around my eyes and in a matter of seconds, tumbling down my face.

"Hey," he asked, his voice becoming soft, which made me cry harder.

He stepped forward again and cupped my face. He brought me into his embrace and I buried my face into his chest, letting out sobs that were shaking my entire body. I hiccupped into him, feeling this over-whelming feeling of sadness.

It was as though lead had been pressed into my bones, suffocating me. I suddenly felt out of breath as I felt myself get more and more worked up.

"I-it's M-Mel!" I stuttered out, my teeth chattering slightly. "She's in the hospital!"