XXXI

Chapter Thirty-One

Chapter Thirty-One

Love?

Did he really tell Ava that her being weird was one of the many things that he loved about her? 

'God, why am I such an idiot?' Grayson groaned inside his head repeatedly shaking his head as he stood on the sidelines watching Ava interact with his mother, one hand on her stomach while the other was holding her drink. 

He didn't mean to say, love, he didn't want Ava running away when they were just barely getting on good terms after everything that happened with Corey, plus when he wanted to confess his feelings towards Ava he wanted him to mean truly mean them rather than just spurt them out because he wanted her to say it or because everybody else wanted him to say it. 

If Grayson was being completely honest with himself he didn't know where his feelings lied with Ava, he knew that he did truly care for her not just because she was the mother of his child but because she's been in his life for a really long time and she was a great friend to have and will always have a special place in his heart but he wasn't sure if the feeling that he got every time when she was around was what he called love. Maybe affection, but not love and he didn't know what to do. 

"You look like you swallowed a frog," Wren said walking up to him grabbing the first cupcake she saw with pink frosting. 

Grayson tears his eyes away from Ava and his mother a frown set on his face. "I don't look like Tom Holland." 

Wren rolls her eyes taking a bite out of the cupcake not caring that she got some frosting on her nose. "What's got your mind in a twist?" She asks dodging his stupid remark and getting straight to the point. 

Grayson doesn't say anything for awhile not really sure if he should talk to Wren about his problem mostly because there was a high chance that she would tell Ava and then Ava would question him about it or she would feel like she needed to confess her feelings towards him and that would end with her telling him that she didn't have any feelings towards him and that she only wanted to be friends with him for the sake of their child. 

"Are you thinking that Ava is better off with Chris than you?"

Grayson snaps his head towards Wren his eyes narrowed into a glare as he hears those words come out of her mouth. As much as he was okay with Chris liking Ava, he didn't want to imagine Ava with anybody that wasn't him and that wasn't because he had feelings for her anything like that. It was just he didn't want Aria to be raised by another man that wasn't him. 

"No, actually quite the opposite." He muttered bringing his drink up to his lips. 

Wren doesn't say anything as she watches him take a drink her eyes never leaving his movement for one second. Normally he would make some jerky comment about her staring at him but Wren was somebody that Grayson liked and he doesn't make those kinds of remarks to anybody unless he couldn't stand them or if he was in a pissy mood. 

"I'm just debating with myself about my feelings." 

Wren nods her head crumbling the cupcake liner in her left hand a smirk on her face. "So you like Ava,"

"What? No, I never said that." Grayson replies his tone rising a bit. 

Wren rolls her eyes her smirk never leaving her face. "You didn't have to."

Grayson opens his mouth to snap back at her but she's already walking away towards her Aunt Marie who was holding up a piece of paper probably another baby shower game. Shaking his head, Grayson walks back over towards Ava who was now sitting by herself eating the untouched cupcake a frown settled down on her face. 

When he reached her, Ava lifted her head a soft smile on her face. "Hey, where did you go?"

"Nowhere, just had a small chat with Wren,"

Ava nods her head taking a bite out of her cupcake. Grayson takes the empty seat beside her and takes her cold hand in his and runs his thumb over her knuckles a small smile making its way onto Ava's face replacing the frown. 

They just sat down in silence just watching all their friends and family laugh and play the baby shower games that Wren came up with. 

At the moment Grayson wasn't too sure where his feelings for Ava lied but he did know that if he truly did like Ava that it wouldn't be such a bad thing because from the inside to the outside Ava was a beautiful person and anybody would be lucky to call her his.  He just needed high hopes. 

Word Count: 845

Chapter Song: High Hopes by Kodaline