ONE

COURTNEY GREY WAS BACK AT SEATTLE GRACE

COURTNEY GREY WAS BACK AT SEATTLE GRACE. Her intimidating presence was flooding the hallways yet again. People were back to avoiding her fiery gaze, while wondering what she was going to do next. She had always been a bit unpredictable. One day, she might smile at you with the warmest smile, until the tables turned; then she was burying you six feet under with that look of hers. However, this time, she was gracing Seattle Grace with a smile on her lips. Courtney walked out of the resident locker room, adjusting her white coat, which now had her name embroidered on it. Her fingers grazed over the letters, which made the corners of her mouth turn up. She still couldn't believe that she had made it through her intern year. There had been more than a handful of times where she had doubted if she would ever make it, but she pulled through. Straightening her shoulders, she graced the hallways of Seattle Grace. She was meeting her own interns for the first time that day and she wanted to leave an impression that would last a lifetime.

"Ready to go torture some interns, Courtney?" Alex Karev asked as he caught up with her. She looked to the left to smile at her best friend. It had been been about two weeks, since the two of them had walked these hallways together. It felt good to go back to normal, if she was being honest. In those two weeks of holiday — of not having to be at the hospital — she had the ability to regain some of her strength, but that didn't mean that it hadn't felt weird. She had gone from being at the hospital every day to not at all. They had gone cold turkey and it had been quite an experience.

"Oh always, fear can go a long way, doesn't it?" Courtney laughed, high fiving the man next to her. They said their goodbyes, before going their separate ways to meet their group of interns. A smile crept up on her face as she stuffed her hands into her lab coat pockets. She would be lying if she said that she hadn't been looking forward to this moment. The days coming up to this day had been highlighted by a gulf of emotions. In the midst of moving into her own apartment, she had tried coming up with different ways to greet her interns and make them respect.

Courtney walked around the corner, peeking into the conference room to see if her interns had already arrived. They hadn't, thank god. Her whole entrance would be ruined if they had already made their way into the room. She stopped by the nurses' desk, "Everything is ready, right, Val?"

Valerie Rivera glanced up from a bunch of papers with a smile on her face, "Yes, everything is ready to amaze your little group," Valerie replied, which was a relief to Courtney. Everything needed to be perfect or else her plan would fail. She didn't want to fail. That word simply couldn't exist in her vocabulary. "Hey, it's going to be alright, you know? They won't know what hit them. You are Courtney Grey and do some unknowing interns scare you? No, of course not. So, get in there and go blow their minds."

"Your speeches keep on getting better. If you ever stop being a nurse, I suggest you try motivational speaking. You'd be good at it."

Valerie laughed, "I'll keep that in mind. But, come on, go in there and show them just how badass you are. Oh! And don't forget to give me the scalpel back after you're ready. Eva might kill me if I don't give it back." Courtney nodded, giving her a thumbs up, before she moved over to the conference room. She was ready. Her fears, worries and nervousness washed away the moment that she stepped through the door.