Chapter 11

“For fuck sakes, no means no!” My eyes cut, slightly aware I was in a public store. Eying the lady in front of me, I could tell she wanted to say something about my crude language, but decided against it on the last second. The faint smile on my face appeared wider when she quickly left, going towards another section. 

        “Skylar,” Mark tried once again, his tone almost desperate. “Just think about it—”

        “Mark,” I argued, pitching the bridge of my nose. “Meetups and signings are a no-go for me. I thought we already went through this when I signed the damn contract?” 

        “Yes but—”

        “But no,” I cut him off. “Tell them I’m sick or something.”

        “Skylar, this is a big opportunity for—”

        “Yeah, yeah. To grow as an author. To get more popular. Blah blah blah.” I rolled my eyes at his pathetic excuse. Does the word anonymous not mean anything to him anymore?  

        “Exactly, so—”

        “—So, no. Right Mark?” I asked, smiling sweetly, knowing that he could hear the forewarning under my facade. 

        “Fine.” He blew out an exasperated breath, as I heard a loud bang in the background. I chuckled quietly knowing that it was him probably slamming his knuckles on his desk. “But you’re really disappointing your fans here,” he added afterwards, hoping to guilt trip me into accepting his offer.

        “Yeah and I need to keep my identity a secret,” I shot back, as I pushed the fan's disappointment to the back of my head. 

        “Alright Skylar,” he said, sounding defeated. “I’ll make the call now.”

        “Wait,” I cried, halting mid-step. “Before you do that, did you ever figure out the deadline?” Apparently when Christian asked Mark last week, he had no idea what the hell Christian was talking about. So, I had to call Mark and explain everything before he hung up, and said he’ll talk to him about it. 

        “Oh yes, that.” Mark chuckled, coughing awkwardly on the other side of the line. I narrowed my eyes, knowing fully well he forgot to tell me. I shook my head, Typical Mark. “He wants his release date to be February 14.” 

        I froze, hearing that date. The day that meant so much to me. The day where he and I first met. The day when we became friends. The day where I’d lost my virginity to him. The day when we got married. But, it was also the date that he broke me. Destroyed me. Shattered me into a million pieces. 

        I gulped, almost choking. Why? Why did he pick this date? Why does he want the book out so badly on this date? It couldn’t be because of me, could it? 

        “D-did he say why?” My voice was barely above a whisper. 

        “No—” He paused, probably gathering his thoughts, “—just that it has to be done by then. Strict orders apparently.” 

        “Thanks Mark.”

        “Bye Skylar.” His voice was pleasant, as I pictured his handsome features twisting up into a full-blown smile. 

        Lowering my phone from my ear, I was about to hit the end button when I heard the doorbell jigging. Glancing up, I saw a young man walking into the store with his girlfriend glued to his side. I almost gagged seeing their public display of affection—she was literally rubbing herself up against him. I was about to go back to browsing the different books they had in the Teen Fiction section when another voice shouted across the room.