Fools Fall In Love

AUGUST'S EMPATHY

August rubbed Monique's hand as the nurse left the two alone. It had been completely silent for two hours between them. Once Monique was treated and done speaking with police officers, she quickly fell asleep. August just roamed around the hospital until he became tired, going back into her room to see she was wide awake on the phone with Bianca.

"So," August started after seeing that Monique wasn't going to offer to explain, "What was up with that? Why she come in like that?"

"I had sex with Play. There it goes. I had sex with him and I did it because I was broke and so disgusted. I robbed Rakim which is why I got here in the first place. He had me afraid and I didn't have anywhere to go there. Monet invited me to live with her and Play was so damn smooth and I was naive enough to believe that I could depend on him. She found out and kicked me out then I seen Debarge."

She pressed her palm to her chest as her tears choked her. August squirmed uncomfortably as she told him what he thought was everything. She left out the part where her relationship with her sister was already damaged before Play existed in their lives. Their relationship had took a big fall once Melvin was killed, and Monet went into guilty depression.

"A-and I did it again because I thought that I had to... I thought I had to use what I had in order to come off as independent. When I explained to Play that selling pussy wasn't my specialty, he understood and he told me I could still stay at his home because I work now. But... Monet must've came over while I showered, seen my things, then burst in on me."

He sighed. He didn't know why the hell he even still put up with love after seeing that all women were sneaky as fuck. August wanted to believe he just had bad taste but he diversified his choices. African-American, Mexican, Japanese; all of them betrayed him in some way. Still, sitting before him, was someone who could do no wrong in his eyes.

No matter what she did or said, he found a reason to forgive her. He made excuses for Monique. She was still the shy, innocent, gorgeous little girl with something positive to say. She was the one who made beautiful mistakes and turned them into something so minor. She was the one who had his heart on lock and mind so far out of touch with reality that it didn't surprise him when he found himself wiping her falling tears.

He knew he was in love and there was no point in avoiding the feeling any longer.

"You don't sell pussy. You mine. I want you back at the crib and to just relax until you ready to work. You don't even have to work, Monique. When I say I got you and that you don't have to want for anything, I meant it. Lately I haven't been treating you the way you deserve to be. After all that you've done for me, you deserve a lot and I'm gon' make sure you get that." August pressed his body against hers. Monique threw her arms around him while crying.

Debarge stared at Nikki in disbelief. "You having my child?"

"Yes. I know it's crazy and all, but I'm two weeks along which is really five. I didn't know how I was going to tell you, and I can understand if you don't want to be apart of my child's life but I'm keeping it..."

Debarge was speechless as he sat there deciding on if what he was about to say next was acceptable.