You Deserve

AUGUST'S EMPATHY

Rakim placed a band-aid on his fresh cut beneath his eye. He leaned away from the mirror then turned to his longtime girlfriend. She looked back at him while chewing on her candy bar.

"I got a connect coming through here today. You mind turning on the surveillance cameras?"

"No. What's his name? Where he coming from?" Jade asked while getting up from her comfortable position on the bed.

Rakim answered, "Say they call him P. He's from Atlanta, Georgia."

"Oh, he's a country boy," Jade joked before exiting the room.

Rakim had got the call from Play saying that he worked underneath August. Rakim knew August through his brother, Melvin, who had got killed over three years ago. Melvin and Rakim had a close relationship through the streets. When Play called, he was surprised. Rakim didn't let him know that he knew August.

As Jade passed by the door, she heard a light knock. She went to open the door as Rakim picked out the jewelry he would wear. He saw that he was missing his favorite chain, then he remembered that Monique had made him hand it over.

He never went a day, not thinking about what she had done. He just didn't think it was worth getting back at her for. She was pointless to him. She had got away with a few dollars which he gained back. He was going to let her enjoy the money but she was never allowed to enter his palace again.

As soon as he turned around, a bullet lodged into the space between his eyes. He collapsed on the carpeted floor. His blood began to stain the plush, tan carpet. The man looked over him before him and his partner started to advance towards the door.

They passed Jade's body lying on the floor. She was attempting to slide towards the phone, the gash in her hip causing her to wince out in pain. A young boy had covered her mouth as the other killed Rakim. Her eyes widened as the man pointed the barrel of the gun at her.

He cocked it back, then made a gun noise with his tongue. She closed her eyes swiftly. Once she opened them, she saw the two men were gone. Jade clutched her waist then laid her head back on the marble floors.

She was drifting in and out of consciousness until Play stepped through the doorway. He looked down at the blood on the floor then up at her nearly lifeless body. Quickly, he pulled the cellphone from his pocket.

Jade mouthed a thank you to him. "The cameras," she breathed out.

Play pulled his gun out. Jade's eyes widened as he shot her in the chest twice. He advanced towards her body then stepped over it, heading to collect the surveillance tape.

As soon as he collected the tapes, he grabbed a few cash from the safe, given the code by Monique, and then he grabbed Rakim's cellphone. He deleted any evidence of their text messages and calls. As he exited the home, he nodded his head back before mumbling, "God forgive me."

Monet looked around her mother's home. The detective was right behind her as she picked up all of her mother's belongings. She stopped at a picture of her and Monique as children. She picked it up, examining the details.

They looked so close in the photograph. The bridge of her nose began to burn. She remembered how she had bashed her sister's head against the wall. She felt so sorry for all of the hateful things she said to her baby sister. Now was the time they were supposed to be a team. As she sat the picture down in her box, she heard the detective leave out to answer an incoming call.

She looked at him walk out onto the porch. She ducked under the yellow tape then looked at all of the dry blood. As her eyes roamed, she thought of the time she confessed to her mother that she had helped kill someone.

"Mama, I d-didn't know. Jorven told me they were just going to fight him. I didn't know they were going to pull the trigger. I promise. His baby mom came to our doorstep today and she told me she knew I was close to Melvin. Mama, I don't want to to be here no more. I got to go. I'm twenty-one years old and I can't be in this house no more."

She sighed heavily. And the time she had invited Melvin over for the first time and he told her he really was falling for her.

"I think you special. You keep it real with me and you beautiful as fuck. I think we should really make it official between us. You just got to wait until I get my shit together. I'm trying to be a better man for you and my daughters. This ain't just me talking my dream, I'm being serious with you, baby."

Monet covered her mouth. She sighed heavily. Why did she let Jorven kill him? She hated herself so much more. She did like Melvin as well. He was very sweet and respectful. After seeing him fall from those bullets, she wished that she had been in front of the gun.

As she exited the house, the detective gave her a small smile. "Did you get everything?"

"Yes. I'm going to put the rest in storage once y'all finish whatever." she replied, walking past him. He eyed her voluptuous body before sighing.

Play met her at the entrance of the hotel. He looked at her, giving her a kiss on the forehead. Monet rolled her eyes. She walked over to the elevators with him trailing behind her.

"I want to take you out to dinner, baby."

"I have too much to do. I have to get some rest. I'm going to a funeral home tomorrow to start planning her funeral."

"It's 6. You got plenty of time to sleep. Monet, I just wish you'd stop avoiding me and talk to me about it. I can see you're hurting. I'm trying to be there for you, baby."

"You good, you got it. I got plenty of her co-workers to be there for me. I would've had my baby sister but you put your dick in her." Monet spat, stepping off of the elevator.

Play kissed his teeth. "But you said you was giving me a second chance. That's the past and you know I'm trying to really make up for it."

"It was three days ago and you're not trying hard enough. Her hickies are still fresh on your neck. Get out of my face." Monet slid the card into the door, adjusting the box in her hands.

Play followed her inside after she tried to slam the door in his face. He watched her drop the box, glancing into the mirror. She was right. Monique's mark was still on his neck. He fixed his hoodie before speaking again.

"Baby, just let me take you out and get your mind off of all this stress. I'm trying, Monet, can't I get a little acknowledgment?"

"You just did. That's probably the only response you're going to get from me. You may need to check in with your mom or somebody to find you a place to stay. When we leave New Orleans, you're dead to me. I never want to hear from you again. Why don't you go fuck her again in my bed? A flight is leaving tonight!"