Something You Forgot

AUGUST'S EMPATHY

Deidre entered the home, smiling. August took his mother's bags and then sat them beside the couch. He had just picked her up from the airport. She was going to be to staying in town for three days. Charice and the girls were coming in tomorrow morning because they wanted to see Charice's family first.

"This is nice, baby." She walked around the foyer, smiling to herself. It was decorated nicely.

"Thank you, ma. You can come in the living room. Debarge and Cam went to the store to start getting some more food. We gon' have a house full."

She smiled, following him. "I forgot all about Camry. She hasn't called me or nothing. How is she?" Deirdre took a seat on the tan, suede sofa as her son sat across from her. He shrugged.

August wanted to tell his mom about the abortion but that would hurt her worse than it did him. She didn't do abortions at all. Camry made a bad decision about it. He needed to save all the soap opera drama this time. Last year around, his cousins were enough to run him out of his home.

"She been good, just studying to get her CNA license. She a hard worker."

"That's good, what about everybody else?"

"Debarge is doing good. He has a legitimate job so don't worry. We ran into Monique and she's been staying here. You know, she just dealing with her mom and all. We trying to be there for her through this." he replied. He knew how much his mama loved Monique. They were close just like she had raised her. Deidre was basically all of their mom. She looked after them when their mothers couldn't, and she gave Monique the bees and birds talk, along with her three boys.

Deidre nodded her head in approval. "I heard about it. Her sister, the young one who Melvin dated, is up there planning the funeral. She walked right past me yesterday. I don't think she remembers me at all, but I remember her. Mel loved that little girl, more than he loved Charice. She look just like Monique and Clarissa."

"Monet?" August responded. His mother nodded. He scoffed. It was a small world. He never knew that Monique sister could've been his sister-in-law. He liked the idea of Melvin being happy. August just didn't think it would've been with her. She seemed a little off when he seen her the few times. Melvin really did like her, though. He wondered how she felt about Melvin's death.

Deidre spoke, "Stop worrying, August. I see it all in your face."

He chuckled before moving over towards her, wrapping his arms around her and then smiling. She laughed lightly. He was still her baby boy.

Monet was sitting on the floor of her hotel room, looking at the obituary. She wasn't sure if she was ready to do this. It was only a day away from the funeral. It was scaring her more and more. It would be her last time seeing her mother. Monet knew she didn't have it in her to see her mother in a casket. No one did.

"You OK?"

"You keep asking me that as if things are going to get better so soon. I'm just- Please give me some time alone." Monet fussed at Play.

He sighed heavily, leaning against the sliding doors which lead to the hotel's balcony. "I've been giving you time. How much time you want to yourself? You want me to be away so long that you finally forget about me? I'm not trying to have that. Imma' admit I didn't make the right decisions but I'm trying to. I go out of my way to take responsibility but you just discredit me and disrespect me. I'm a man-"

"Far from it," Monet mumbled.

"Well, then help me become one." Play replied. He took a deep breath to subside his rising anger. He couldn't believe a few sweet conversations and some sex cost him his relationship. It was never worth it. It just seemed so right to do at the time. His temptation and curiosity had him begging for his relationship. It would never be the same between him and his first, official girlfriend.

"No, that's your job. You're supposed to better yourself for me. I'm not the woman who raised nor am I the one. You'll meet somebody and you'll change for them. Throughout this entire relationship, I've been weak about everything. I allowed you an inch and you took a mile. I tried to be more secure and stop chasing the men in my life away, but all of you the same. I could never forget this because that's my blood! I got to look at her someday and you the first thing that's gon' come to mind!"

Play grabbed his suitcase. "OK. I give up. It's all good."

"Bye. I've been wanting you to do that. Do you need help?" Monet asked, genuinely serious. He glared at her before beginning to throw his clothes back in the suitcase. She didn't bother to look at him. She proceeded to stare at the picture of her mother on the obituary.

Play walked towards the bathroom. He got all of his things off of the counter. Most of the products fell from his hand but he continued to go on, afraid she would see his tears soon. As he zipped up the bag, he heard her sniffling. Play picked his suitcase up then advanced towards the door.

"So, you're really going to leave me a day before my mom's funeral?"

"Make up your mind," Play complained, "I'm trying to make you see I'm in love with you. You keep making it harder and harder for me to express how I really feel. I'm not saying it's supposed to be easy but-"

Monet stood up, saying, "Do you love her?"

Walking into the house, Monique smelled a home cooked meal. She eyed Debarge, who had just got home from being with Bianca and her brother. August was sitting at the other end of the couch on his laptop. Monique figured Camry was throwing down for the household. She made her way into the kitchen. Her mouth dropped open.

"Mama!" She sat her purse on the table then went to wrap her arms around a smiling Deidre.

Camry watched from the table in jealousy. She despised how over the top Monique acted. It was all to make her jealous but she tried to convince herself she didn't care. This was just more proof that Monique was closer to her boyfriend. Her and Deidre got along but Camry didn't know what to speak to her about. It just hurt to see that Monique could potentially take her place someday.

Dropping her pen, she rushed out of the kitchen and then up to the bedroom. She slammed the bedroom door behind herself. Her tears began to fall as she slammed the old picture of August, Debarge, and Monique. The glass frame shattered over the floor, catching the attention of everyone downstairs.