Thanksgiving Day

AUGUST'S EMPATHY

Monique, Charice and Camry set the table. Charice glared at Monique, along with Camry. The morning had been going well. The men were helping out, cleaning up and keeping the children occupied. Deidre had the women set the table as she prepared her food for everyone.

Camry was trying to be reserved for everyone, but she did not like how Monique was trying to set her table differently. Charice was able to see the tension. She, quite frankly, did not want to be immature. Still, she didn't very much like Monique. She didn't want to start making accusations but she had found out some disturbing news. She was prepared to tell August the news as soon as she got alone time with him.

Monique spoke, "Cam, I know you probably prefer for me to not talk about this right now, but we should discuss it before we sit down. I don't have a problem with you. You're-"

"Now isn't the time," Camry interrupted, continuing to set the table.

Monique looked up briefly. She noticed both of them were still setting the table. "I'm just trying to get it out of the way before we sit down. I want to be able to be in the same room without the tension in the air."

"I think y'all should just set it to the side. Wait until everyone is gone to discuss it, or go outside. Nobody is worried about the beef between y'all. We want to enjoy our food. I don't care for drama sitting around me while I'm trying to enjoy my day. Let the negativity leave."

Camry nodded in agreement. Monique bit the inside of her lip. She sat the plates down, quickly, then exited the dining room. Charice shrugged her shoulders before turning to go to the kitchen. Camry followed behind her, slightly happy to see someone understood her.

Monet packed her things into the taxi cab. A smiling Play stood beside her as they prepared to leave. He was ready to go back to Atlanta and get things back on track. After the funeral, the two of them sat at her mother's grave. He made her the promise of putting his hustle on pause to attend to her every need. Monet told him it wouldn't be that easy for him.

They were on talking terms but she was just still unsure. He said he didn't love Monique how he loved her. It was those many doubts and insecurities at the back of her head. She felt like if she took him back he would feel the need to cheat again. Monet was scared to even put herself in that predicament.

Also, she was really beginning to like Reynard. He treated her like such a lady. They went out in public together and he always professed his love for her. She just didn't like that he wanted her to depend on him. He wanted her to stop stripping and just let her have it made. That just wasn't how she was raised. No man could provide for her like she could provide for herself.

"Let's go," she said to him. Play followed her orders, prepared to go back home and enjoy the rest of his day and night with her.

Bianca fixed the smear of her lip liner, looking into the hotel mirror. She had curled her hair perfectly and added a few accessories to her outfit. She was nervous to meet the lady Debarge called his mom. He informed her awhile ago that his real mother had died. August's mother was there to look after him and nurture him growing up.

"Promise to not trash this hotel or spend all my money on junk food since you don't want to come with me."

"I can make that promise." Tremane replied, "And I need you to check the bags again to see if you can find my watch."

And it began. The game was on and August and Debarge were engaged in the television. Charice was helping Deidre carry the food to the table as Camry took the girls to the grocery store to retrieve more sweet tea. Monique was upstairs in the bedroom, curling her extensions while humming along to a song. She turned around to examine her appropriate outfit for the day.

Suddenly, the squeaking of the door caught her attention. She peeked around the corner to see Debarge gently pulling a female into the bedroom. Monique's eyes bulged once she made eye contact with Bianca, who was Tremane's sister. If she was here then Monique was positive that Tremane was not too far behind.

"Wow, I didn't expect to see you," Bianca admitted while opening her arms for a hug. She had no hard feelings for Monique. In fact, she felt even more guilty and disloyal as she hugged the young girl. Bianca knew deep down that her brother was wrong and that she couldn't continue to look out for him. She was going to do her best to protect him, therefore when Monique questioned his whereabouts, she lied until it sounded convincing enough.

"He's in New Orleans, you know? Working and stuff."

"Cool, cool," Monique replied, relieved.

Debarge didn't miss a beat. Once the ladies were through with small talk, he asked how they knew one another. Bianca began to tell them the story of how they met as he changed shirts. Monique chimed in from the bathroom while proceeding to curl her hair. Finally, they were down to the family room to relax.

Camry snuggled up to August as Debarge and his girlfriend took the opposite couch. Monique stationed herself in the recliner pulling her phone out to make her situation seem less awkward. Camry eyed her with a smirk upon her face. She took it as an opportunity to speak up, to embarrass her,

"Monique, where's your date?"

Monique looked up. "Nowhere to be found."

She knew that Camry wanted a different response but she just couldn't push herself to disrespect the dinner, plus the children were only a few steps away. Instead of continuing to sit through La La land with the loving couples, she decided to go make a call to Play.

Play noticed his phone vibrating in his pocket. He looked over at Monet who was engrossed in a urban fiction book. Sighing heavily, he stood from his seat then made his way to the bathroom, passing the few people seated. "What's up?"

"What are you up to?"

"On my way back home," he looked back, "Do you miss me? I miss you."

Truthfully, Play did have strong feelings for Monique. She looked at it as a friendly relationship at that point. He took her out to places and introduced her to the city. If she had money, she set up somewhere for them to go then they could enjoy themselves. They weren't creeping nor were they having sex. If anyone wanted to know the status of their relationship, all they had to do was ask.

Monique felt it was simply two people hanging together who used to have sexual chemistry.

Play thought that he was, in a weird way, getting closer to Monique on a not-so-friendly level. He found himself wanting to be with her each chance he got, but he also wanted to be with Monet which made it hard for him to choose. He didn't want to be unfaithful or creep around. It didn't matter who he chose but he knew he wanted to be sure the decision was worth it in the end, and he was leaning towards Monet at the moment.

"Yeah... Are you still coming by later tonight?"

"I can if you want. I have to come by Aug's place to get this package then we can hit up Sonny's and dig into some of them ribs. How that sound?"

"No, let's just smoke or something... I'm tired of that."

"That's cool, too, but look I don't want to raise any eyebrows. I'll holla at you when I touchdown in the city." They disconnected their call then he made his way back to his respectable seat. Monet was now plugging her earphones into her phone. She eyed Play suspiciously before fixating her eyes back onto the phone. On cue, K Michelle's Can't Raise A Man began to play.

"I think that's a damn good sign, K," she mumbled while closing her eyes.

Play sighed heavily then crossed his arms over his chest. Her trust was now fucked up and he was walking on eggshells just by hanging with Monique tonight. But he just couldn't resist the urge to be around her, to touch her, and to fuck her...