Nobody Wants Us Together

AUGUST'S EMPATHY

Caroline argued, "Are you for real?! You're so disturbed that you can't even climb a pole?!"

Monet fell onto the hardwood floor, landing with a thud. The other women in the class stared at her, along with Lyndsey. Monet stood back onto her feet. The instructor took a deep breath.

"Monet, I have a class to run. You're either giving it all of your effort or using it to walk out of that door. Which one is it going to be? Choose wisely."

"I'm staying here," Monet said, "But can you stop putting pressure on me? Eventually, I'll get it with practice but not with you yelling in my ear every minute."

"OK, how about just leaving? You don't even have to pay me for this week. I've taught you nothing." Caroline pointed towards the door as the girls positioned themselves back on the floor. Monet left the pole, walking over to her purse. She grabbed it before walking out of the spacious room then out into the hall.

She couldn't focus due to the fact that Play's whereabouts were weighing heavy on her chest. He told her he was going to check on his mother but he didn't come back in the three hours she had impatiently waited. Monet decided to ride by his mother's home only to see his car wasn't there, and he would not answer his phone. That ticked her off because he was playing her.

There she was allowing him back inside only for him to fuck up once again.

She dialed Reynard's number then she began to rant as soon as he answered. "It's not fair. I'm working my ass off and I'm not even getting credit for it. I swear..."

"Look at it like this... You're stressing about stripping. I'm stressing about when you're going to stop stripping. I work my ass off to make you see how much I can spoil you. I get zero credit for it. How does it feel to get a dose of your own medicine?"

Monet mumbled, "That's not even the same. I love dancing."

"I love you." Reynard replied. She looked down at her shoes then through her rearview mirror.

"How do I know you're not just like him? I'm not smart when it comes to trusting people." Monet sighed heavily as she remembered Monique and Play. She had to close her eyes to try to erase the image. Still, she couldn't help but to see Monique's smiling face. Then, she had the urge to kill her sister and go home to kill Play as well- if he was even there.

Reynard spoke, "You clearly still stuck on him. I'm nothing like him. I got a legitimate job that is legal, plus I have my own house and I'm not even thinking about any other woman but you. He may have hurt you but that doesn't mean I will do the same. Ask my ex-girlfriend."

Monet laughed lightly.

"I'm playing even though that's a dry joke. My bad. For real, I guess you just have to take that leap with me. Give me the chance to prove to you that I have your back. I'm here for you even when your ass shots start to sag. I'm here for you."

Monet laughed louder. "Funny, but true. I guess I can think it over which is basically me leaning towards yes. You just have to promise me this."

"I'm all for making and keeping promises as long as it doesn't involve me paying for any more injections. What's up?"

"It doesn't... I just need you to promise me something small. Something small like I can trust you and finally have some sort of happiness."

Monique awoke to see that she was fast asleep next to a shirtless Play. A bottle of Patron was next to him and the rest of the contents had spilled onto the sheets. She groaned as she felt around the bed for her phone, her head throbbing with pain. Finally, her hand came across the vibrating phone which displayed August's number. She ignored his call while slipping into the sandals she bought.

She left Play with a kiss on the forehead. They had not had sex or even touched one another in any manner. Once they got into the hotel room, she began to talk to him. He listened to her vent and console her. She actually felt really comfortable and safe with him, but it was nothing compared to the way August made her feel. He made her feel like a young child.

"Hello?"

"Hi, this is Megan from Julia's Jewels. I was wondering of you were still available to fill in our jeweler position? If so, how soon could you start training?"

"Tomorrow morning," Monique answered.

"Fantastic. If I could have you in at nine in the morning. Please make sure to wear an appropriate knee-length skirt and blouse. Thank you, Have a wonderful day."

"Thank you." Monique replied as she slid into the back seat of a taxi cab. She had left early because she didn't want to have Play bombard her with questions. Plus she didn't think she could look him in the eye after putting all of her most vulnerable secrets out. She trusted him for some odd reason.

Monique, also, knew that what she was doing was wrong. Her whole point of coming to Atlanta was to bond with her sister while getting her life on track. It was crazy how plans had changed. Now, that she officially had a job, she saw herself saving and moving forward, with or without the extra.

As soon as Monique hit the second step, she was being pulled back. August clenched his jaw ad he stared her down. Her unkempt hair and messy eye makeup gave it away. August knew Monique like the back of his hand. He wasn't trying to treat her like a kid but he wanted to look out for her, plus he just couldn't deny the chemistry between them. Neither could she. But neither of them would admit it either.

"So what's up? Are you fucking him or something?" August asked, "Better yet, why weren't you answering my calls? You had Barge and me worried that something had happened to you! That's not cool at all, plus how can you creep around to fuck someone but can't creep out to get your ass a job?"

"Are you serious? Last time I checked, you weren't my dad. I am grown and I can do whatever I please, even if that includes having sex with someone. It's none of your business. I didn't answer my phone because I was enjoying myself."

"So, you grown but you're here... Look at you, that nigga could come get you but couldn't give you money to get back? I saw you pull out that twenty to pay for that ride. Then, you left extra late with him. It's because the nigga has a fucking girl!"

Monique suddenly felt small standing before August, who spat nothing but facts. She knew it was wrong to be with Play. Being caught twice just made her realise that the third time may not be so pretty. She didn't want to be in someone's graveyard therefore she would cut ties with him. Monet was right, August was right but her and Play were wrong. Instead of arguing back, she continued to hear him out,

"And he sells drugs! My drugs to be exact. Yes, Play works with me and I speak to that nigga on a daily basis. Don't you think I would know that the nigga has a girl, stashes his drugs at her house too, and is in love with the bitch? And it's funny that he disappeared right after you did. Y'all weren't sneaky about it and the shit was mad disrespectful."

"OK. By the way, I got a job at a jewelry place since you want to throw that in my face, and maybe I can accept his flaws because he treats me better than any other man I've ever been cool with. And maybe I'm taking risks by being with a taken man, but it isn't what y'all think it is at all." Monique treaded up the steps feeling worse than she had when she left out.