Fall For Your Type

AUGUST'S EMPATHY

August looked at what he had written so far. He was just getting started on a new song, just writing and talking about no one in particular. As he placed his pen back to the paper, there was a light knock at the door.

"Come in," he said, sitting his notebook on top of the table. He knew who this was and didn't let anyone in his personal studio besides Debarge. Monique walked inside. Her eyes widened at the equipment. She made her way over to the sofa he was seated on.

She began, "I could remember you singing a little... Do you still do it?"

"When I'm going through a situation and need to calm down. Do you still try to freestyle?" August joked, reminiscing the times Monique had attempted to fit in with the boys. She was such a cool girl back then. They had not talked much since she arrived so it was kind of hard to tell if she had changed.

She laughed. "I mean, don't be hating because I can rap, August."

He shrugged. "Let me hear you, then."

"Sing something for me first." She leaned forward, beginning to make a beat on the table. He looked at her before they began to laugh together. She gently pushed his shoulder. August looked back at her then smiled.

"OK," he straightened up, "I swear I always fall for your type, yeah.

Tell me I always fall for your type, yeah.

I just can't explain this shit at all, I just can't can't explain this shit at all, I just can't explain this shit at all,

I just can't can't explain this shit at all...That I believe in people like you."

She smiled, lowly clapping. He still could sing and he still was never afraid to. Monique like that he never got scared to sing for anyone. But she was curious as to why he stopped chasing his dream of becoming a music artist. There was nothing wrong with his hustle but she just believed August would be the one to become known out of all three of them. He had star quality.

He said, "But what bring you in here?"

"Debarge left to go to the grocery store. It just gets boring downstairs looking at the same television shows. We shouldn't be so far apart under the same roof, you know?" Monique looked down at her nails.

"You right. So, did you meet Camry?" He stood up to retrieve his cup as Monique nodded her head. He took a deep breath. He would be getting into an argument tonight.

Monique answered, "She's pretty. How long has it been?"

"Few months. Who are you seeing?" he asked, his brotherly mode kicking in.

Monique lied, "Somebody. Don't worry, I'll let you and Debarge scare him soon. OK?"

"Sound like a plan, sis." August bumped fists with her and then they sat in the comfortable silence.

Camry met Jay at the door, a small, forced smile on her face. Her hands were shaking as she walked. The other women in the waiting room looked at her. She felt like such a bad person, as she stared at their swollen bellies. That could've been me, she thought.

Jay pulled her in a brief hug. "How do you feel?"

"Horrible, I know August is going to take this pretty hard. It's just that I'm more worried about school. I can't finish my last course if I have a baby. He has to understand that I'm still young and I wish we could build a family someday. It's just that I don't ever want to have to depend on him."

Jay nodded her head. "You're not a bad person. You just want to make sure you're in a good financial place before you just start making babies. If he loves you like he says he does, then he'll accept the fact that you're not ready. Do you want to get something to eat before you go back home?"

"Sure."

As they enjoyed their meal, Camry bought up her new house guest. "How would you feel about your boyfriend bringing a girl to stay with y'all?"

"Depends on who she is, how she looks, acts and what type of relationship they have. If she was just a random, I wouldn't trust it. Why? Is it happening to you?"

"No, no, no." Camry lied, slightly embarrassed.

Once she entered her home, she smelled something cooking. Her stomach growled as she headed into the kitchen. Her eyes fell on Monique and August reading the back of a box. She cleared her throat while sitting her keys on the countertop. She didn't know how to feel about Monique being in their home.

"Hey."

"Hey, he wanted to cook for you so I helped because I figured you might want food that isn't burned." Monique laughed lightly, attempting to make Camry smile.

Camry nodded. She looked at August then beckoned for him to come upstairs with her. They left out of the kitchen to speak in private. Monique continued to stir her food up.

"Why wasn't I notified that we were going to have a guest?! I live here just as well as you, August, therefore I deserve to know!"

"It was late and you were sleep! She was a friend in need therefore I had to get her. She's cool, Cam, and she respectful. Me and her grew up together. We don't have anything going on plus she has a boyfriend."

"Where is he?! She can go be with him! August, we don't have enough room to keep taking your strays in. You keep bringing these people into my house and not asking my input on it. Debarge was cool and he never gives me any problems-"

"But this is different because she is a woman? You feel like there's competition with her? Monique not worried about me or you. She's just thinking of this as a friendly gesture and she's not trying to fuck it up."

"It's not even about competition. I could care less about her. She's not a threat to my relationship or me-"

"So, why can't she stay? What, is it the baby or what?" August interrupted. Camry took a deep breath.

"I got the abortion today."

August shook his head. "You really changing. I don't know what it is but you need to chill out. You sit around and worry about what people think of you, aborting our baby and shit. That shit is sad, man."

He walked over to the bed and sat down, placing his head in his hands. He took slow, deep breaths, refraining from allowing his anger to run its course. "I-I ain't never committed to a woman because I always felt like I wasn't ready for it. Camry, real shit, I love you and I trust you. This really hurt me because I'm looking to settle down. I know school is in the way but, damn, we could've worked around that. We could've had a family by now. I'm just hurt right now. Let me get some time to myself. I don't know what to think of you no more."

She walked out of the room, closing the door behind herself.