Chapter 2

It was a sunny morning as my dad cooked up some pancakes. The smell immediately woke me up a few minutes ago and here I was waiting for the blueberry deliciousness. He flipped one over, turning around to face me. I grinned holding up my plate from when I was five, it was a heart shaped with my name in it. 

" I feel like I'm raising a toddler not a teenager" My dad sighed, placing a pancake onto my plate as I kissed his cheek and grabbed a fork. 

" I'm the toddler? who was in the yard playing with the dog like a kid would" I questioned stuffing my face full of pancake. 

If there was one thing my dad could cook it was pancakes. Usually he made breakfast and dinner was up to me, as it usually was. If my dad every cooked dinner it was always spaghetti the simplest dish, and the one he memorized the recipe of. 

 " I'll be a bit longer at work tonight, so order food but no random spicy food that gives me the runs for a day straight" My dad said with a pointed look as I smiled sheepishly, giving him a toothy smile. 

" it was an accident, how was I supposed to know the thing had that many spices in it" I defended, with a small shrug. 

" just order plain old pizza, I'm feeling cheesy today" He laughed as I watched him a bit confused. 

Was that supposed to be a joke?

As he laughed some more I let out a nervous laugh pretending to find it funny. 

" Good Morning my second family, what's for breakfast" A loud voice shouted from the front door, a bag dropping to the floor. 

My dad sighed, placing a few pancakes on a plate and holding it near the kitchen entrance as Maria walked inside with a determined look. She squealed grabbing the plate and taking a seat beside me. Soon Jace walked behind her, as my dad handed him the next plate. 

" I love this house, so homey and nice, the people are so generous around here-" He began as my dad smacked the back of his head. 

" shut your mouth and eat" My dad replied, cooking up some more pancakes. I giggled watching as my friends kept digging into the food. 

Maria and Jace usually stopped by the house to get some breakfast and then take me to school. They used the excuse of car pooling just to come to the house and eat most of the time. Maria admitted it during a girls night when she drank too much and the secrets began to spill out. 

" well kids today is a whole new day so try not to get arrested" My dad said waving at us as he began to get ready for work. 

" you know Mr. Dad if this whole firefighting thing doesn't work out, you would be a great fortune cookie writer" Jace smirked earning a glare from my dad who grabbed his keys and walked out of the kitchen heading straight for the front door. 

I rolled my eyes watching as Jace started smiling, shoving the rest of the pancakes down his throat as Maria took the last one from the large plate. 

" you only love me for my dad's cooking" I pouted, picking up my bag from the floor. 

The both of them stopped chewing and looked at each other before starring at me and shrugging. 

" nothing against you of course" Maria whispered patting my shoulder. 

" alright ladies, let's get going I have practice and can't blame it on either of you today" 

~*~

On the field Maria and I took our seats on the grass, leaning against the front of the bench. The guys were out playing, kicking the ball to one another and doing some of the drills. Coach Jerzy was yelling at them to go faster even though they all were at a top speed.