The Truth

Back on the ship...

     Bria paced back and forth in her bunker room, she watched the tv news desperate to find something. She froze and watched the screen as the words rolled on.

     Law enforcement may have finally found the culprit who has started this cultish group.

     "Yes!" Bria jumped for joy. And quickly ran out of her room.

   "I'm leaving." Bria spoke as she approached Buck.

He looked at her and raised an eyebrow. "Excuse me?"

"We found him and nothing has changed. You said after this mission was done I was free to go hunt that leader. Law enforcers have a lead on him." She said.

Buck slammed a book on the table. "So that's it huh? You're not going to give it some time? Not going to at least try?"

     Bria chuckled. "You have no idea what I've tried." She muttered.

     "Fine. I won't hold you back." He said but looked her in the eye. "I hope you find what you're looking for. Not just that leader, but in here." He pointed to his head.

      Buck walked away a Hejiro jumped onto a table next to Bria. They made an excited squeak.

     "Oh, I'm going to have to leave you here." She patted their head. They let out a sad whimper. "Aw, you'll be fine. Just don't kill anyone, okay?"

     She got on the next drop-ship. She debated about saying goodbye to Thel. No. She didn't want to hurt him more than she already has. Poor guy. There's obviously no hope for her finding her memories. He should just move on. Find someone else. Plus Bria didn't know if she would come out of this alive.

     Back on the planet, Bria spent days of research. Hacking into certain, local police stations. She would admit she stole some private files from this case. She noticed so many shooting even since she was gone looking for the Arbiter.

     They're sick!

     Bria walked around town, remembering the building that she killed those two spies, that's also the same place where she met Hejiro. But there's no way the leader could be in there. That would be way too obvious.

     Bria then got an idea. What if it's where the original leader was? That building was local and Bria knew that neighborhood like the back of her hand. So she decided she would give it a shot.

      She remembered the secret corridor she used to take when she did that nasty brute's dirty work. It was secluded. But she didn't know if it would still be there.

     "Bingo." The door opened. She drew her pistol and went inside.

      It looked just as she left it almost 15 years ago when she choked that Brute out with a wire. Nothing has changed except maybe the technology.

     Bria's heart dropped to the pit of her stomach.

     There he was.

      There's no way it was that easy.

      Unless he wants to be found?

     Bria jumped down off of a loft, right behind him. She immediately pointed her pistol at him.

      "I finally found you!" Bria almost started laughing hysterically.

     The man didn't move, didn't flinch as Bria held the cold metal of the barrel of her pistol to the back of his neck.

     "Indeed you did..." He muttered. "And what do you plan to do?"

     Bria froze and thought for a moment. But the answer was quite simple. "I'm going to do what I should've done long ago." She pressed the barrel hard on his neck.

     "Hmm... Guess I deserve it," He turned around so that his piercing blue eyes were staring right at her. Her gun was now pointing to his jaw, and she started to tremble.

     Why isn't he afraid? 

    "But you would deserve it more." He said.

     Bria frowned. What did he mean by that?

     He smirked. "Brianna Vadam."

     "How do you know-" She started to tremble more now and slightly lowered her weapon.

     "We know everything about you, Bria. You were a part of us long ago." He said.

     "That changes nothing!" She gritted her teeth in rage and pushed the gun into his jaw. He still didn't fear.

     "No." He said. "But your husband..."

     She rolled her eyes. "Why does everyone keep mentioning him?"

     "Oh? He hasn't told his beloved wife?"

     Bria growled. "Shut up! This isn't about him!"

     "That's where you're wrong. It's more about him than you'll ever know." He said. "we've been hunting him for years. We're helping the UNSC, not harming them."

     "Explain the shootings." She said.

     "Just a simple distraction for law enforcement as we investigate. Plus, there are criminals who need to be dealt with, you know?"

     Bria just stared at him.

     "The Swords of Sangheilios are traitors! They're smuggling and stealing weapons and trading private UNSC information. They plan to destroy a UNSC ship any day now. They even attacked Sangheilios!" He said.

     That was them?!

     "W-why would they do that?" She stuttered.

     "We're in the middle of a war, and they're desperate." He replied.

     Bria lowered her weapon. Tears stung her eyes. She didn't want to believe what he was saying, but his reasons were logical.

     "Help us, and we'll stop these shootings." He stated.

     She wiped her eyes quickly, "How do I know you're trustworthy?"

    He chuckled. "You have no idea how many voice recordings and videos I can show you of your precious husband-"

     "Alright!" She shouted.

     "Kill the Arbiter and we will stop and depart, never to bother a living soul again." He said.

    She shivered and didn't meet his eyes. "I'll do it."

     "You can bring him back dead or alive. That will be up to you."

     Bria nodded. She spared his life and left.

     She was devastated. How could she be so foolish? She wondered if her former self knew about this. But then why would she put up with it and stay married to him? She would never do that. How could she have been so blinded? She felt so betrayed.

     Perhaps the Arbiter was the bad guy after all.