Heart

After shopping for an incredibly long time, (thanks to Cassie...) Bria made it home.

The house was quiet and dark, but she knew that's because Thel was planning and strategizing. Or training in the basement. Bria sighed and walked further into the house, remembering what Cassie had said in the shopping center.

"How long did you think it would last, Bria? Humans and Sangheili aren't meant to be together."

She was honestly mad at Cassie for saying that. But on the second hand, maybe she was right.

Thel was growing distant. That was the reality. He does take his combat and leadership very seriously. At first, Bria thought it was that. But it seems like there's more to it.

"You're home." Bria jumped when she heard Thels voice behind her. She quickly turned around. "Sorry to startle you." He said.

"I-it's alright. I was lost in thought." She said. "Uh, sorry I came home so late, you know how Cassie likes to talk."

Thel nodded.

Why is this so awkward? Bria thought to herself. It used to be so comfortable and now the atmosphere just feels... off.

"I leave in the morning." He reminded her. "I don't want to wake you."

"Oh, I'll be awake to say goodbye." She said and leaned over the table.

Silence.

"Do you really have to go?" Bria said in almost a whisper.

"Indeed. It's my responsibility." He replied.

"Then why can't I go with you?" She looked at him.

"Bria-"

"No!" Bria was fed up. "I've been by your side ever since we met! And for one stupid mission, you can't even tell me what's it for?! What? Are you seeing someone else? Am I boring to you? What is going on Thel!?" She was right in front of him, face red and eyes flaming purple.

But Thel did not fear her, he picked her up and pinned her to the wall.

"I can not tell you." He said slowly. "It's for your own safety."

"Put. Me. Down."

Okay when she used that voice, Thel feared her. He gently put her feet back on the ground. Bria was on the verge of crying. Thel laid his hand on her shoulder.

"Trust me, Bria. I want to protect you." He says.

Bria rolled her eyes and pushed his handoff. "For my safety huh? Protect me by being here." She was crying now.

He looked away. "You can't understand."

She sighed. "I'm going to bed." She walked away from him.

The next morning...

Bria managed to wake up a little bit earlier than she usually did. Though there wasn't too much sleeping last night. She didn't know what happened to Thel, he didn't come to bed.

She sighed and got dressed, went down to the training room. There, sitting on the ground was the Prophets bane sword that Thel always used. She picked it up and quickly started swinging.

Thel has been teaching her some Sangheili combat skills. Just in case she lost her powers and she had nothing else to go for. And she could admit she was getting pretty good.

Or maybe it was because she was angry.

Why did he keep secrets from her? Why can't she go with him? It was all too real. What if he got hurt? He didn't even say when he was returning.

Bria's attacks were getting more fierce. But she didn't stop. Neither did the thoughts. She destroyed one of the attack dummy's, tore it to pieces. But she still didn't stop.

She could feel herself getting heated, her chest was in pain. She knew she needed to calm down, but she didn't know how at the moment.

Finally, she just gave up and landed on her knees. She felt a pulse leave her body, she heard the walls crack.

"Bria?" That was all she heard after. She knew Thel was in the room. She didn't have words, didn't want to explain why she let herself get out of control again. She stood up and looked around at the cracked walls.

Thel broke the silence after a few minutes. "I'm leaving." He took a breath. "I wished to come to say goodbye"

Bria let a few tears slip, but she didn't face him. Why was it so soon?

She suddenly turned around and ran to him. She hugged him harder than she has ever before while sobbing.

"Please, please be safe." She said.

He dug his fingers in her hair.

She didn't want to let him leave. "I love you." She cried.

"And I love you." He replied. She finally let go. They stared at each other for a few minutes. He wiped her tears away.

She handed him his sword. And with one nod, he left.

And Bria was alone.

Welp. Now what?

Bria was laying on the couch, just finished one of her favorite television series.

She decided to turn it to the local news. That was guaranteed to put her to sleep... until her phone rang.

Well, maybe Cassie will bore me to sleep.

She picked it up. "Sup Cass?" She said.

"Hey. You doing okay?" Cassie asked.

"Yeah. Just being lazy. Finally finished that series." She replied.

"Oh! I hated the ending. They need to make more."

Bria chuckled.

"Do you need me to come over? We can have a girl's night." Cassie said.

"No, I'm gonna got the hay soon." Bria replied. Her eyes then focused on the news. "How was your date?"

"Oh, it was wonderful. He's such a gentleman. Did you know he...-" Cassie continued to talk, but Bria's attention was elsewhere.

"Another suicide shooting at the ground park today, killing four people with him. They discovered a brand on his left ankle. Matching to previous criminals who've done the same thing recently, including the man who got arrested last night. Perhaps they are all a part of a cult?"

Bria dropped the phone out of shock when she saw the pictures of the brand... it brought back terrible memories... there's no way. She thought she was hallucinating.

How could he be back?