5: Drive me home

Saturday, January 8th, 2005

I sat on the bench intended to pick up bus passengers, but since today was the weekend, I figured no one would mind. It's practically empty since only a few buses were available on Saturdays and there weren't any rides scheduled on Sundays.

The couple who once sat here earlier have left. Therefore, I had the place to myself to think things over.

I found myself tapping my foot after a few minutes because I was in a nervous wreck, but managed to dial Paige's number to come pick me up. But as luck ran out, it went directly to her voicemail. I sighed and turned it off. I memorized her message as it began with some music in the background. It was "Hello" by Lionel Richie ... perfect timing as his lyrics started with, "Hello, is it me you're looking for?" Then it would cut off with Paige's voice, "Please leave a message after the tone." I have to admit it's clever, but found it to be a bit tacky.

When I first heard it, it made me laugh, but after hearing it for months, I soon got tired of it. That song was a bit too old for my preference; I begged her to change it. But as Paige refused to do so, a quarrel erupted.

Her opening argument was that if it was her phone message, and her favorite song, it was her own decision to keep it. And I had no right to tell her what to do. And hearing that rant hurt me. The words bit me like a snake.

But as best friends, I knew she didn't mean to be that harsh, but it wasn't what I wanted to hear. Thus, instead of continuing on with the disagreement, I shut my mouth.

Figured that since I wasn't going to win that battle; it was useless. And as I predicted, she forgave me for the silly squabble we had. But, her voicemail still remained the same.

***************

I told her earlier that I was going out for a drink, and that I needed a ride. Thus, I couldn't figure out why she wouldn't answer the phone. A promise was a promise. And then again it was possible that she was out with her boyfriend again. That was four times in a row!

The dark handsome gentleman that came into her life in college always made her cheeks blush. She'd consistently tell me about their dates and how she fell over heels for Noah. He had a body like the actor Shemar Moore and had dimples on his rosy cheeks I'd like to pinch. But I won't do that, as I'd be going against a friendship pact Paige and I swore to follow till the day we died. One of the rules was not to touch each other's man, and if we broke it, punishments would occur.

And with that deal in mind, Paige should automatically know that I was a bit jealous as Noah replaced me. I didn't want to admit it, but I knew in my heart that if she forgot about our friendship pact; it'll be hard to forgive her.

I like Noah, really I do. Okay, maybe I was just telling myself that to not feel so guilty.

Her boyfriend was not my type, but I admit that Noah had a "hot bod". Yet, I wonder why the two haven't tied the knot after knowing each other for so long. It seemed like they were waiting for the perfect time to have a white wedding.

She deserves to have a good man in her life. After years of flirting with guys who only used Paige for her family's wealth, she'd shared secrets with me about her past relationships.  It was simply ridiculous that some of the guys took her to expensive restaurants and pretended to forget their wallets at the last minute, and others ditched her just because they didn't like her figure. Paige was a bit chubby, but who isn't? I bet there are millions of girls out there who don't have a model-like figure, yet are still proud of themselves.

One day there was one guy named Jay who came by to see Paige, but made the excuse at the last minute that his sister needed him. I had a hunch that it was a white lie because of his sleazy expression. His body language said it all and I hugged my friend when he left. She cried over it and she doesn't deserve someone who's that rude.